Is my Power Supply enough?

Chrissicom

n00b
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
37
Ok, I have an Antec 350W Phantom passive power supply. The temperature sensor directly attached to the fins reads no more than 40 °C on full load for a few hours. I will upgrade my system and I want to know if my power supply is still enough.

My old system (uses 240 Watts at full load and 200 Watts when I turn the computer on)

Pentium 4 3 GHz, 800 Mhz FSB (passive cooling)
MSI Neo FIS2R i875P (northbridge fan unmounted, ugly led thing)
2x Corsair XMS CL2 512 MB
2x Maxtor DiamondMax 9 120 GB SATA
2x Maxtor DimaondMax 10 200 GB SATA
1x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300 GB IDE
Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro (passive cooling)
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
Surecom Wirelass LAN PCI Adapter
8 USB Devices connected (i.e. I make use of all USB ports with printer, bluetooth hub, scanner, wireless hub for keyboard, camera, video encoding device etc.)
The system is cooled by 3 120 mm Noiseblocker fans and 2 80 mm Noiseblocker fans which are all pretty much noiseless
NEC ND5100C (not sure about the tile)
Pioneer DVD-RAM Recorder (v110)

Here's the system I will have and I wanna know if you think the PSU is still enough (in my opinion it should still do its job)

Athlon X2 3800+ (probably with XP-120 and 120mm Noiseblocker fan)
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
2x Corsair XMS CL2 512 MB
2x DiamondMax 10 200 GB SATA
1x DiamondMax 10 300 GB IDE
Asus Extreme N7800GT
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
Same WLAN and USB stuff
Same case (CoolerMaster Stacker) with the same fans
NEC ND5100C (not sure about the tile)
Pioneer DVD-RAM Recorder (v110)

The AMD CPU requires 89 Watts that's about the same my P4 requires. I removed two 120 GB HDDs and replaced the 9700 Pro by a 7800 GT which will require more power. But I still have 100 Watts left on the PSU to be used and considering that it has its best effiency on 85% usage I think it should easily handle the new system, anyway what do you think?
 
Here's some more info that should help you give me an answer :)

I calculated power consumption of all my devices (with the new system and N7800GT), it should draw:

7A from 3.3V
18A from 5V
27A from 12V

The Antec Phantom I have has 4 independant lines that have
max. 28 A on 3.3V
max. 30 A on 5V
max. 16 A on 12V1 (CPU, MoBo)
max. 18 A on 12V2 (GPU, HDDs, Drives)

I think the 12V2 line will be close to max with the new system but it should be bearable don't you think?
 
Back
Top