• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my power supply enough?

DukenukemX

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
11,625
I just installed a Geforce 6800 LE in my system and I was watching TV using InterVideo WinDVR 3. Then I decided to turn on Azureus to download something and then suddenly my monitor was turning on then off again and again with the system pausing. Using Azureus or WinDVR 3 alone doesn't cause this.

I decided to run Asus PC Probe and saw the voltage.
asusprobe9nc.jpg


The +5 and +3.3 seems to alarm me.

I decided to unplug a CD drive and a case fan and tried it again. It seemed to only do that a few times this time.

My power supply is a 300W Sparkle. Should I upgrade the powersupply or is the Chaintech 6800 LE defective and I should get it RMA'd ?
 
A MultiMeter or one of those diagnostic cards you stick in a PCI slot?
 
DukenukemX said:
A MultiMeter or one of those diagnostic cards you stick in a PCI slot?

He means "Digital Multi-Meter" DMM for short.

But 300 watt????

Most PSUs are 350 or better these days.
If you do upgrade then spend the bucks for a GOOD psu - unless you don't care about your computer.




 
rodsfree said:
He means "Digital Multi-Meter" DMM for short.

But 300 watt????

Most PSUs are 350 or better these days.
If you do upgrade then spend the bucks for a GOOD psu - unless you don't care about your computer.

It's not a new PSU. I'd say it's at least 2 years old by now. I thought Sparkle was a good brand for a PSU?

Ok so I'll just check everything with a DMM. I just learned a new acronym.

Should I do it with the PC running? What's the +5 V used in the PC?
 
Ok I used my DMM to test the power rails of the PSU while running Windows.

The 12V Rail.
When booting it jumps from a little below 12.00 to 12.15. Sometimes jumping as high as 12.25 or as low as 12.10.

The 5v Rail.
Usually stays around 4.95. Sometimes drops as low as 4.92. When Booting windows it stays around 5.00 before the desktop appears. IN CS Source it stays at 4.92.

The 3.3v Rail.
It just stayed at -3.35 at all times. Nothing I do changes it.

Does my PSU seem fine?

Also I ran a few videos and then started Azureus and the same thing happens. Seems if I use anything that uses Overlay and Azureus it causes this crazy stuff to happen.

Is it a defective video card? Known problem with Nvidia drivers? Needs bios update?
 
The PSU is in spec. I would check around and see if anyone else hs expereicned issues with Overlay and Azureus at the same time.
 
Funny thing but it stopped happening. :confused:

I did run driver cleaner and installed 80.40 drivers. To be frank I tried the 80.40 drivers before and I did run driver cleaner before. I had a Radeon 9700 Pro before this. Maybe it's a good time to see how long my Chaintech warrenty is.
 
Back
Top