Is my O/C (temps and volts) safe for 24/7 folding?

guy_uoft

n00b
I have a Q6600 G0 running at 3.3ghz (470x7) on a Asus P5K Premium. My temps at 100% folding load are 54-58c across the four cores according to coretemps. My vcore is 1.465v (left it on auto in the bios) load, 1.6v pll, 1.4v vnb, 1.4v fsb termination, 1.2v vsb, 2.25v on my 4gb of PC6400 running 941 mhz 4-4-5-13. AI suite reports my "system temperature" to be 40c under load. I have a fan blowing on both my NB and my ram, both of them stay relatively cool (just warm, not hot to the touch) under 100% system load. Relatively good case ventilation with an Antec 300.

I also have my 4870x2 underclocked to 500/500 under 2D windows and folding only puts 50% load on one of the two GPUs at that speed (no idea why it only uses 50% of the active gpu), GPUZ reports 68c on the active gpu under folding.

I just started folding and I'd like to help out by leaving my system folding 24/7, but I'm just worried if it would kill my system running it 100% stress 24/7. I've heard many stories on folding killing GPUs, I don't want that to happen to any of my components.

Considering I'm running quite high of a FSB and 1.46v on the Q6600, I thought I'd get some opinions. What do you guys think of those temps and volts? are they safe for folding 24/7?

Everything is perfectly safe. There are many people, including myself, who run F@H on their systems 24/7 with more extreme overclocks than you right now without any ill effects.

um only thing id say is remove the auto setting on your voltage because to me it looks insanely over-volted compared to other overclocks ive seen.. you should be some where around 1.3-1.4v.

also any questions you have on folding please check the distributed computing section of the forum.. the info and issues with the 4870x2 folding on 2 gpu's will be there as well..

I tried to set the vcore lower, yet any lower than 1.46 the cpu is unstable under Prime95. And if I overclock any higher at 1.46, it becomes unstable again until I raise the voltage again

well your gpu will definitely be fine. the cpu temp is ok and since its 65nm i wouldn't worry about 24/7 1.475v

My Q6600 on the same board as yours is at 3.6 ghz with 1.425 volts. Temps run from the high 50's to high 60's depending on room temp with a big typhoon. The machine folds 24/7 with one win-smp client and two gtx260's. It stays loaded up like a mofo. Rock Stable!

the only reason that would come to my mind why its unstable is that your running a 470x7 which means your throwing a crap load of FSB at the northbridge so id say the northbridge voltage needs to be increased a little..

the only reason that would come to my mind why its unstable is that your running a 470x7 which means your throwing a crap load of FSB at the northbridge so id say the northbridge voltage needs to be increased a little..

Its nice to have a big fat pipe of FSB. :) But it is not needed in the folding world.

So our OCing buddy knows he has some FSB to play with. I would start rocking the cpu. Get its multi up some and fine tune voltages. To be honest there isn't a bit of diff. on my 3.6 OC at 400x9 or 450x8 when it comes to folding, games or day in and out machine usage.

What is important is rock stable machine. I would never fold at my max oc, even with more robust cooling. It wouldn't increase my gpu production and overall it wouldn't help the SMP folding as much as the effort and risk needed to run it at 3.8 or 4.0 ghz.

Back