Is my motherboard dead?

Vieo

n00b
It's an Intel d510mo.

This morning, I plug the power cord for computer into the outlet, and immediately I smell something like slightly burning plastic. Though, the smell faded away as soon as it came. I turned the computer on hoping there was no damage and the Intel splash screen came up. I sighed in relief, but that relief turned to sheer terror when I realized the computer was stuck at the splash screen and totally unresponsive to the keyboard.

So, is it dead?

I've already tried unplugging every thing, including the hard drive. The motherboard won't POST (you get a blinking power light) without the memory in. I when I set the motherboard jumper to recovery position or boot-to-bios configuration position, I get a blank screen.

I also removed both the CMOS battery and memory, and left it unplugged for 5 minutes. Then I put them back in, and turned the computer on; no change. Still stuck at the splash screen.

Any suggestions?

Vieo,
There is also the possibility that your power supply is no good. If there is not enough voltage to continue booting things can look 'stuck' very easily. But, if you can't test individual components you are as dead in the water as if you had a fried motherboard. One thing you can do is look with your eyes and nose for the component that went poof, often times they are discolored and/or leaking after their death.
Good luck,
KA

most likely dead mobo because it sounded like your mobo fried.

I'll try removing the PSU from my main computer and trying it with that. After I've done that, I'll tell you the outcome. =/

No dice. Tried my 520 watt corsair and still stuck at the splash screen.

I've had to build at least 40 PCs since 2002 for various friends/family/coworkers and this is the first time I've had a motherboard die on me. I've even got a 2.4GHz P4 XP box based on an ASUS mobo that I built in 2001 that's still kicking to this day. Maybe I should stick to ASUS motherboards. LOL.

Anyway, do you think it's safe to reuse the power supply in a new build or should I throw it out? It came with a cheap $39 Ark case I bought from Directron.

No dice. Tried my 520 watt corsair and still stuck at the splash screen.

I've had to build at least 40 PCs since 2002 for various friends/family/coworkers and this is the first time I've had a motherboard die on me. I've even got a 2.4GHz P4 XP box based on an ASUS mobo that I built in 2001 that's still kicking to this day. Maybe I should stick to ASUS motherboards. LOL.

Anyway, do you think it's safe to reuse the power supply in a new build or should I throw it out? It came with a cheap $39 Ark case I bought from Directron.

Ya Asus boards last forever if you don't abuse them.

poor mobo same thing happen to me with a comp i built a while back for a friend except it was the power supply the little sparkle 750watt pop a capacitor white stuff everywhere inside it.:rolleyes:

Could this be the problem? (Sorry for the crappy picture. It was taken with a Nexus 7)

probz.png

That blackish/brown line smells burnt and it's raised off the board a little bit. That's right under the PCI slot where I said the smell came from. I've got a soldering iron, but I don't think I can fix it though. No idea what went wrong. I didn't even have a card in the PCI slot.

OMG! I think I might of actually fixed it. After removing away the burned stuff on that line, I discovered a severed TINY flat piece of copper wire. I guess that's a "printed" circuit wire?

Anyway, I used a tiny piece of wire, a soldering iron, and a bit of electrical tape to reattach the two segments. Now it's no longer at the splash screen and just complains about no boo table device . I'll put everything back in and see if actually works.

Hahahaha! It's alive! Every thing is working normally!

I think... I think I might be a wizard or something!

Congrats on the DIY salvage! Though WHY did that trace go up in smoke? Something upstream might be out of whack, so it may or may not hang in there. Or the trace may have simply been too thin and finally fizzled.

Back