• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my LCD dying????

fuelvolts

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
1,813
Hey first time poster in the display section, long time AMD litter.

Anyways, I have a 2.5 yr old MAG 18.1 LCD (with .5 yr of PSP left!) that started sucking lately. Brightness is ok, no dead pixels, but it seems that the colors are blending. That is the best way I can desribe it. It looks like it is stuck on a lower color mode (like 256 or something), but it is set at 32 million in windows.

I have dual monitors with a CRT on the other port. I thought it might be the port screwing up, so I switch the LCD and CRT connections on the video card (BFG 6800 OC). Looks the same. The CRT looks great still. Photos are excellent on the CRT no matter what port it is connected to.

Should I take this to Best Buy? I have a service plan, not a replacement. Will they try to service it - I need 2 monitors for photoshop work!

Thanks in advance for your responses!
 
Rishy said:
If you can, why dont you take it back ?


I will, just wanted to see if anybody had an experience like mine and what could be causing the weird colors
 
Take it in. I just had to replace my brothers monitor for kinda the same issue but his has a backlight that is taking a shit as well. With his I couldn't complain as I bought the monitor(15 inch lcd) like 2.5 years ago for 50 bucks. I think I got my money out of it. I had some coupons for staples and ended up getting a nice 17 inch acer for 150 shipped. As far as best buys warranty goes yea they may try to repair it they may just replace it. Hard to say but take it to them.
 
Well, I took it in to BB and this is what happened:

<frustration><rant>
I took it in in working condition (ie it turned on and displayed stuff, albeit in low color mode). It wont even power on for the "geek squad". Nothing. No power. They test the brick and it is outputting the correct voltage so it is the monitor. (it was plugged into the same port for 2.5 years working fine till that very moment.)

They said that if it was the 14, 15, 17, or 19 inch model they would let me get a new one, but the 18.1 inch is "Servicable". So, they are "Servicing" it. They are servicing a 2.5 year old MAG monitor! I paid $450 for it at the time (its 18.1" - which was big for the time). I told them I would even take a $250 17" one now insted of servicing it but they refused.

Heres the kicker: I'm out of a monitor for 4-6 WEEKS. I am typing on my lappy, but this still sucks. I think im just gonna splurge for a new monitor with my tax refund in the mean time and when it comes in eventually, use it as a second monitor.

I hate BB (and I used to work for them) with a passion.

</rant><continue frustration>
 
Ha. The sad thing is they will prob put a fuse in it or something and send it back without touching the color issue. 4 to 6 weeks is bullshit though. I worked for another retail store and the turn around for them was about 3 weeks on a monitor for repair.
 
swatbat said:
Ha. The sad thing is they will prob put a fuse in it or something and send it back without touching the color issue. 4 to 6 weeks is bullshit though. I worked for another retail store and the turn around for them was about 3 weeks on a monitor for repair.
well it is geek squad, they must know what they are doing.

i wouldnt even let them touch my windows machine :)
 
santaliqueur said:
well it is geek squad, they must know what they are doing.

i wouldnt even let them touch my windows machine :)

But they have little badges and stuff.........

I would wait a few weeks(like 3) and start bitching about it taking so long. Yea it sucks but what can you do.
 
Back
Top