Is my HDD going to die

Cryptic

Gawd
I have a Seagate 80gig 7200rpm 8meg cache IDE hdd and i think its about to die. I say this because in games its always running and always seeking. And it seems to do it right after I exit the game, it never use to do it before. I dont hear any strang noises from it, but something doesnt seem right. The rest of my specs are:

AMD 64 3400+
DFI lanparty NF3 250gb
512 Kingston Hyper X ram
500watt ps
dvd burner
cd burner

Temps on the system are fine...so whats the deal...the temps on the drive should be fine, there are two fans blowing right on the front of it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I’m betting your drive is actually ok. Your games have to spool somewhere, usually to ram if you have enough. If you’re short on ram everything spools to your swap file and once you quit it cleans itself out, thus all the seeking and noise you hear. The problem will become worse if you don’t de-frag the drive.

If your not getting data corruption and loss the odds are your drive is ok.

Luck

Thanks. I didn't think that it was dying, but it could always be a possability...this format is about 5 months old and has about 40 gigs of crap which has never been defragged. Will run defragg tommorow night and see if that helps. I've never had problems with this drive so I hope they dont start now. Thanks again.

Back