• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my HDD dying?

Astralogic

Gawd
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Messages
581
Hi, one of my 2tb HDD's is going super slow, like 1mb per sec.



HD Tune: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 0.0 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 0.2 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 0.1 MB/sec
Access Time :
Burst Rate :
CPU Usage : 12.3%

HD Tune: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 Information

Firmware version : MX4OABB0
Serial number : X3UJP5UGS
Capacity : 1863.0 GB (~2000.4 GB)
Buffer size : n/a
Standard : ATA/ATAPI-0 - SATA II
Supported mode : UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)
Current mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)

S.M.A.R.T : yes
48-bit Address : yes
Read Look-Ahead : yes
Write Cache : yes
Host Protected Area : yes
Device Configuration Overlay : yes
Automatic Acoustic Management: no
Power Management : yes
Advanced Power Management : yes
Power-up in Standby : yes
Security Mode : yes
Firmware Upgradable : yes

Partition : 1
Drive letter : F:\
Label : 2nd 2TB Storage
Capacity : 1907727 MB
Usage : 93.31%
Type : NTFS
Bootable : No

Please click this picture for HD Tunes health section screenshot.


Power On Time : 16155
Health Status : Ok


HD Tune seems to think the drive is healthy. Is the drive dying? Any ideas on things to try?


Thanks
 
Slow reading or writing or both?
You have it filled up to 93%. AFAIK NTFS gets really slow when the drive is full.

Edited to add: Maybe the drive is super fragmented, too.
 
Hmm, write seems fine, and not everything reads slowly. I've not defragged that drive in god knows how many years but surely it can't be that, I've had the drive fuller then this in the past and it's been fine.... I'll have to try freeing up some space and giving it a defrag, whats a good free defrag program or is any just fine?
 
Hmm, write seems fine, and not everything reads slowly. I've not defragged that drive in god knows how many years but surely it can't be that, I've had the drive fuller then this in the past and it's been fine.... I'll have to try freeing up some space and giving it a defrag, whats a good free defrag program or is any just fine?

Before you fiddle with anything, do you have a backup?
 
I haven't finished backing up yet, and I probably won't this month. But I analyzed the drive and it's only 5% fragmented. I have freed up almost 500gb on the drive and earlier it did go faster, up to 35mb/s. But now it's gone back to 1mb/s, so I don't really know, I think the drive may be screwed.
 
Back
Top