Is my HD going to fail soon?

Acer_Sheep

[H]ard|Gawd
Over a time I'm getting more and more Smart warnings, the booting time increases and sometimes just to load simple files in directory takes several seconds.
Is this sign of it may stop work soon?
HD.jpg

All of the warnings are caused by excessive powering off of the drive. Is this a removable or do you have a very quick power down policy?

Is this sign of it may stop work soon?

Not at all. Although you are putting more wear on the motor by having it shut off so much.

Most of those warnings are stupid, they just mean you didn't use that drive as much as the average user (who did run the same test). Your drive seems fine, and it should not be causing any problem, you might want to look elsewhere.

Now, if you have important data on it, you should always have a backup.

BTW, I thought it was failing when you were talking about "SMART warnings", because those exist, they're just not what you think. When you start your computer with SMART enabled, and the HDD is failing, there will be a warning in the BIOS. With Windows 7 (and maybe Vista) you will get warnings from windows, who reads SMART. When you have those, your drive is in trouble.

All of the warnings are caused by excessive powering off of the drive. Is this a removable or do you have a very quick power down policy?

Not at all. Although you are putting more wear on the motor by having it shut off so much.

The data points indicate several hours of use for each powering on/off. Looks like normal use to me.

The computer is set in power saving mode and it does either turn off HDDs within 20 minutes or if left idle, it will fall asleep. Otherwise it is normally used, daily turned once on and off. And it is internal drive ofc.
Most of those warnings are stupid, they just mean you didn't use that drive as much as the average user (who did run the same test). Your drive seems fine, and it should not be causing any problem, you might want to look elsewhere.

Now, if you have important data on it, you should always have a backup.

BTW, I thought it was failing when you were talking about "SMART warnings", because those exist, they're just not what you think. When you start your computer with SMART enabled, and the HDD is failing, there will be a warning in the BIOS. With Windows 7 (and maybe Vista) you will get warnings from windows, who reads SMART. When you have those, your drive is in trouble.
Didn't get any warnings on POST or Windows itself(I have 64 bit Windows Vista) and I have a backup.

Thanks for replies so I don't need to be worried.

The data points indicate several hours of use for each powering on/off. Looks like normal use to me.

I guess the excessive comes from my work experience where all machines are on 24/7/365. If I total the power cycle count for the drives in 20 desktops in my department I will in not see 2244 power cycles total. And some of these machines are 10 years old.

Back