Is my harddrive dying?

TigerUpperCut7

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 29, 2002
Messages
213
My computer is now more often automatically restarting. It either freezes for a few seconds or restarts immediately always following a click noise by (probably) my harddrive. I don't know if this may be because I have messed with the BIOS settings for the RAM and CPU a long time ago, but still, it is the hard drive makes a noise before restart.

Is my hard drive dying?
 
Short answer: yes. Clicking sounds coming from hard drives sounds impending death. Replace immediately.
 
Don't kill me if I remember wrong. But the clicking noise is the arm (with the read/write head on it) that moves quickly away from the drive platters to it's 'safe spot'. It does this if it encounters an error or a problem to make sure it doesn't damage the platters or overwrite data.

I would suggest you download the Ultimate Boot CD (google it) and run the hard drive test for your drive. (The CD includes HD testers from most major manufacturers)
 
I've had a bombing PSU do this to my raptors below.... Replaced PSU, problem went away.
 
techcellfish, i don't know how to use the ultimatebootCD. i eventually got it on a CD but i had trouble with the more technical steps while running the app.

any other suggestions?

pc's are so hard to diagnose. :mad:
 
just wanted to let you guys know the problem was the PSU. Luckily I made the right decision between installing either the PSU or hard drive first to diagnose. Hard drive would have taken forever. Anyways, I'm using a Antec SmartPower 2.0 now and there has been no restarts for a week already. :)
 
TigerUpperCut7 said:
the PSU is L&C. came with my prebuilt computer from cyberpowerpc.com

L&C = Deer = Allied = Cheap POS

I'd only reccomend this brand of PSU to my enemies....
 
Back
Top