Is my firewall hardware or software?

What does Upnp mean in terms of firewalls, to be more precise, I have a westell 327w router and an ASUS A8N5X mobo that uses the nVidia nForce 4 chipset, I am trying to find out weather I have a hardware or software firewall, does anybody know the answer?
Thanks in advance.

a software firewall is a piece of software that is installed (or in the case of the likes of windows PX, comes with...) your computer.

a hardware firewall is a device that sits between your computer and the open internet.

both, attempt to prevent access from connections that originate on the open internet. i think youll find the overwhelming majority to prefer hardware firewalls, as they are significantly more configurable, and infinitely less of a pain in the ass.

To ad to what the poster above me said, a router is both hardware and software. It acts as a firewall, but its a software firewall implemented through hardware if you get what I mean. Its tricky to understand.

I tend to stick to the safe side of things and run a hardware firewall (my linksys router), and a software firewall (zone alarm). Therefore, if the hardware firewall is breached, I still have a constantly-updated-to-new-threats software firewall.

Sharaz Jek said:
a hardware firewall is a device that sits between your computer and the open internet..

Software firewalls can also sit in between your PC and the internet...example...Microsofts ISA Server. Another example..linux based devices built on PCs...such as IPCop, Endian, etc.

Hardware firewalls can also be built in some PCs...example..some of the nForce chipsets with dual LAN...it's basically just a NAT router integrated in your motherboard.

hardware firewall (true hardware) tend to check the validity of a TCP/IP packet and just block ports.

Upnp is a method where a software program talk to the hardware firewall and get it to open ports it requires

Software firewall's basically extend what a hardware firewall does be it ports on a program by program basis, allow a finit amount of bad-traffic on one port...

Like the upper poster said, hardware over software is what the majority prefer.

A dedicated machine running Smoothwall in right next in line from your IC is a hardware/software firewall, like a router with an implemented firewall.

eeyrjmr said:
hardware firewall (true hardware) tend to check the validity of a TCP/IP packet and just block ports.

Upnp is a method where a software program talk to the hardware firewall and get it to open ports it requires

Software firewall's basically extend what a hardware firewall does be it ports on a program by program basis, allow a finit amount of bad-traffic on one port...

But "ports" are something software created, so therefore there is no "true hardware". But I guess I shouldnt start confusing the OP with all my technical nonsense. :D

thanks you for your replies, would it be beneficial for me to just buy a "firewall" or is what I have good enough?

with the price of most home routers/firewalls theres not really an excuse not to have one.

Back