Is my eVGA 8800 GT getting too hot?

w3tw1lly

Weaksauce
At idle it sits around 52 and under load (CS:S maxxed completely, and Halo 2 maxxed) around 82ish give or take 3 degrees. I want to keep it a little cooler. I have riva tuner but I do not know how to change fan speed. Also how do I view CPU temp from Riva tuner? Also what I noticed when putting in my GPU I saw on the edges around some of the chips on the video card board it looked like there was gobs of white thermal paste outside the chip. Looks like they used too much.

At idle it sits around 52 and under load (CS:S maxxed completely, and Halo 2 maxxed) around 82ish give or take 3 degrees. I want to keep it a little cooler. I have riva tuner but I do not know how to change fan speed. Also how do I view CPU temp from Riva tuner? Also what I noticed when putting in my GPU I saw on the edges around some of the chips on the video card board it looked like there was gobs of white thermal paste outside the chip. Looks like they used too much.

There you go rivatuner tutorial

These cards are rated at aobut 100c if u feel its running hot get rivatuner and jack the fann 100% all the time you will be fine.

I have same temps, it's fine, some people are getting to 90 or 100C, now that's dangerous.

People use the stock HSF's on hardware?! OUCH.

The S1 accelero is like $20? I even have one on my 7900GS.

Do this, go to the power usuage tab then RivaTuner \ Fan and set AutoFanSpeedControl to 3. Then go to the Main tab then low-level system settings. I then used the settings of a [H] member to set the fan.

Duty cycle min = 34
Duty cycle max = 100
T min = 56
T range = 8
T operating = 110
T low = 0
T high = 110

Too low, your not gonna get any good temp changes with that.

Duty cycle min = 45
Duty cycle max = 100
T min = 50
T range = 35
T operating = 78
T low = 0
T high = 90

Works better.

My EVGA 8800GT ran at almost exactly those same temps before I finally stuck a S1 on it. If you can stand to listen to that cooler over 50% speed then I think it will suffice with some RivaTuner tweaking.. It took me about 10 seconds to realize I couldn't live with it.

Dave

Just cooled my 8800gt and I got an additional 15 MHz on my OC ceiling before. (I couldn't hit 1 MHz higher than 700 on the core before) It would run 700 at 82-83 with the rivatuner profile running the fan at Max.

EVGA SC edition 650/950 now at 715/1000 (Shaders Linked). I did this with a Thermaltake Duorb, and the fan running at half speed. I have idle temps of 50-55 and load temps of 64. Literally finished the install about an hour and a half ago. It's easy and worth it to cool your GT.

On my stock BFG I got 700/2000. I didn't try going higher. With the fan around 50-60% it maxes out in high 70s. 3dmark06 results were kinda small. 3% when I upped the core from 625 to 700. Another 1.6% when I upped the memory from 1800 to 2000. The card is definitely not bandwidth limited. I do need a better test for GPU power though.

See here guru3d forum.

Watch the 3rd post. It's a little bit more information, but you'll understand how to tune rivatuner for your own situation. The 8th post tells you how to make fan values editable.

My evga 8800GT stock edition is 58c under load with the fan on 96%. In idle, it's 52c with 44% fan duty. And I have the new bigger stock cooling fan.

Mine runs (the highest I've seen) 86 degrees C with stock fan speed which seems to stick at 30% all the time..

Back