2[H]4U
well i just bought an pieced together the following rig:
Intel celeron d processor 2.8ghz socket 478 with stock heatsink
segate 7200.7rpm 80 gig drive
648fx-a2 elite group mother board
nvidia fx-5200 128mb vid card
apex pc-115 case with 350 watt ps

it was a cheap piece together for a workstation
i installed everything fine but a piece of the heatsink that lcoked the heatsink in place was broke so i glued it back together and completed install, i started to install windows on the machine and after a hdd format and the first phase of windows install it shut down, it keeps doinf this so i decided to check the mobo setting/health and saw that the cpu was reading at 87C, so i turned the syatem off waited awhile took the crppy pad that comes with the celeron heatsink off and reinstalled it. when i tried to reinstall windows again i encountered the same promblem it read 82C this time, when in installing windows it says startin windows it shutsdown everytime even if i take the temp protect off...

any idea is there a bad settin of did i lose my processor the first go round?
thanks
doug

Your heatsink isn't seated properly, you said you glued it? Get a new one and install it. It said 82c but windows would show, so i bet its just overheating.

Your heatsink is not performing well because it's not seated properly on the CPU. Get a new heatsink.

You would know if you have a fried CPU. You would smell it and it wouldn't even boot

I suggest

1) Reseating CPU
2) Apply some AS5
3) Put on HSF
4) Reset the CMOS
5) Enter the BIOS and set the voltage manually. Sometimes motherboards can supply the wrong voltage to the CPU which can lead to overheating.

If you have the resources, try testing the temperature manually.

You can't really fry a CPU nowadays ... It's impossible, the computer just shuts down.

You didn't fry it, it just won't post or run for long when your temps are around 100C

alright well im glad i didnt fry it, i bought a new heat sink and fan and i should be in within the next couple days, what is yall best recomendations to remove the artice silver 5 i already have on there?
thanks for yall help..
doug

its doing a thermal trip. its a safety feature for every Intel processor.

every time i boot its boots at 59C i mean i know thats not right, should i reset my cmos liek he sugested and if so how?
thanks
again doug

took the crppy pad that comes with the celeron heatsink off a
:confused:

If I read correct this is for a 478/CPU?
You need to make sure the heat sink is Snapped in place at all 4 corners, Then pull the tention arms in unison to LOCK it down...Not 1 at a time.

The heat sink should fit right on top of the CPU, Then pull both arms at the same time to LOCK it, It should feel hard so to speak to do it.. But not to bend the arms hard..?
If you did that correct you should not have a problem..
When you removed the heat sink did you look and see if you had contact with the Heatsink/CPU? Did they both look like they were pressed togeather?

Sounds to me like you missed a step..??

well the heat sink i found did sit right when i had removed it because of the borken arm i tried to reapir(my first mistake) that is where im pretty sure i went wrong i tried to place a broken heatsink on the processor. also i did not do the clip simotansiulsy i did them one at a time, thanks for the advice ill make sure i do this next time...

i bought this fan

thanks again for your continued help

doug_7506 said:
well the heat sink i found did sit right when i had removed it because of the borken arm i tried to reapir(my first mistake) that is where im pretty sure i went wrong i tried to place a broken heatsink on the processor. also i did not do the clip simotansiulsy i did them one at a time, thanks for the advice ill make sure i do this next time...

i bought this fan

thanks again for your continued help

No problem,, 478 are a bit of a fight to get seated, I just busted one 2 weeks ago..on a build box..
Make sure you put the heat sink on while the board is flat not standing up.. You want a perfect seat...
That fan you are getting looks prety trouble free.. Hope it cools well.

thanks for yall help ill take all the tips an post back when it comes in and after the install

alright now i have a new peomblem....
i cahnged out my heat sink and fan, and did it right this time...

i start my computer and no picture will come up on the screen??

i try changing the monitors still no picture,
i try changing the video card still no picture....

any ideas?

i did try a different video card, i just resat the heat sink and it works now thanks

Back