• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my closed loop water cooler leaking?

three4seven

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2004
Messages
1,154
I just got in a Zalman LQ-315.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118135

Opened it up and just plugged the 3 pin to test to make sure the pump is working.

Pump seemed to be fine - so I just looked around for leaks - and noticed some shiny substance at one of the joints on the radiator. It's not a lot, but it's there. I'm also not sure if it was there before I plugged it in.

I'm not familiar with what type of coolant is used in these closed loop coolers, but it doesn't seem to be water - as it didn't evaporate.

I left the pump running for about 3 hours - and it didn't seem to get worse as far as I could tell - but it could be a very slow leak for all I know.

Just wondering for those who are more knowledgeable on closed loop coolers if this is just some type of lubricant in the joint, or if it really is the beginning of a leak.

Any input would be much appreciated

Updated: tested for a little over a week running 24 hours a day in different positions to stress the tubing. No leaks that I can see. I guess it's just residue from the factory.

8457790966_bb61d67517_b.jpg


8456691425_89cdc6ed48_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
Appears to be glue. If it is wet to the touch, it is coolant. So touch it and let us know
 
I couldn't get my finger in the crevice to check, but using a toothpick, I was able to take some of it off - so it's definitely either coolant or some type of oil/grease.
 
You could take a Q-Tip or a paper towel (folded and with the crease in the crack) and try to absorb some of it, to see if it returns. It's probably just something left over from the manufacturing process. You could always call Zalman and ask them.
 
I'll bet it's just some kind of lube used to assemble, or it could be some left over flux from soldering the radiator and outlet.

Run it for a few days with something like a paper towel under it and see if anything accumulates.

Simple science project......
 
Thanks for all the input.

I thought about running it for a few days - but the lazy side of me was hoping someone might have a better idea of what it might be before resorting to that.

Will try to run it for a few days once if I get some spare time to set it up again this weekend.

The only reason why I'm concerned is that I have several other units and have never seen this type of residue at the joints.
 
Keep us updated! I was thinking about getting this cooler for a friend's build. Hopefully its not a leak
 
Back
Top