• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my clock speed normal? (4850 Crossfire)

MilkTea

n00b
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
7
Hi guys, recently I just bought my 2nd 4850 and enable crossfire. I am fairly new to crossfire so I have few questions I would like to ask:

1. My crossfire seems to be running fine. However when I check my ATI Ovedrive under CCC, one of my 4850 is running at 160/250MHz (0% activity). Is this normal?

2. I do get occasional VPU recovery, is that normal for crossfire?

3. I also ran 3DMark06 and my score is 14600 with (Include CPU tests). I am not entirely sure if that's the score I should get since I did not run the benchmark when I had single 4850 only. Can anyone verify the score please?

- My ATI Driver is 8.12

My system spec is: E8400 (3.6GHz), Gigabyte x48-DQ6, 2 x 4850, 2 x Crosair Dominator 4GB rams, Crosair 620HX PSU

I hope you guys can clearify these issues I am having at the moment, Thank you~
 
Unless you are playing a game, the cards would downclock to a lower clock speed to save energy. Even when you play a game and alt+tab out of the game to see the CCC, the cards would drop its speed to the low power mode. You need to use a third party progam like rive tuner or you can also use a second monitor and open the CCC there to monitor your clock speed.

VPU recovery is not normal even for crossfire. If it bothers you, maybe you need to install the driver again, try the 8.12 hotfix driver for HD 4850 Crossfire here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1375972
 
Okay so after my long investigation. I realised there is something wrong with: Either my 2nd 4850 or the driver. Previously I was using driver 8.12 (my OS is 32bit-XP) and through 'Hardware monitoring' in programme Rivatuner, my 2nd 4850 always showed GPU usage of 0% and constant 160/250MHz (Even when I was running GPU stress programme such as Rthdribl). This was also displayed in my CCC.

So after trying out driver 8.10. In CCC, my 2nd 4850 is running at 500/750MHz when there is no activity. When Rthdribl is running, my 2nd GPU goes up to it's standard 4850 clock of 625/993MHz. So now everything looks perfectly fine, BUT when I use 'Hardware monitoring' in Rivatuner, my 2nd GPU (GPU1) still shows clock speed of 160/250 although the GPU usage increases from 5 to 10% (When Rthdribl is running).

I am just curious is there something wrong with my second 4850? I just want to make sure everything is right. Thank you~
 
Just play a game and see if the FPS lines up with what it should be. Compare it to the [H] 4850 crossfire eval, for example. That is definitely the easiest and surest way to tell if its working ;)
 
Hay I just tested individual 4850 and both can run maximum speed. I guess my problem is solved after a clean install of the driver, thank you~
 
Back
Top