Is my card screwd?

Not only is the card doing all that crazy stuff, my fps is about 35 max now......

That's bad video memory right there. Try underclocking it and see if it helps.

Lately it hasn't been doing what's displayed in the pictures. Just a VERY low frame rate in game and sometimes locks up momentarily. Is it worthy of an rma? Btw this thing isn't overclocked. I messed around with overlocking a few times but that was months ago. I'll try underclocking it and see what happens.

Run atitool's artifact scanner and if it gives you errors then the card is definitely bad.

That 3rd pic looks awsome, were you stoned when you took that one.
I got to agree that its a problem with the video memory. Is it worth RMAing I just sold a BFG 6600Gt for $40 here on the [H]. you decide what if its worth it or not. goota keep in mind, the faster things get, the more heat they generate, the more heat they generate the shorter there lifespan.

Well it looks like I'll be rma'ing it then :mad: I emailed eVGA and they said the only way to fix the problem is to RMA it. I hope these bastards don't give me a refurbished card.... Do you guys think it'd be a better idea to just go and get a 8800GTS 320mb instead of dealing with this garbage?

Answered By Eric A (5/5/2007 4:23:34 AM): What you are experiencing on screen is called 'artifacting' and that is generally a direct hardware problem with the video card. What causes this is when there is a failing or corrupt video memory module on the card, it will produce those kind of images in which you have described. The only real way to resolve this is to have the card replaced as it is an issue beyond repair. It is suggested to contact the vendor for a replacement. If they cannot assist you or the return/warranty period has passed with them, you can go to our RMA site online here at this link, http://www.evga.com/RMA/default.asp. Unforunately we cannot offer any form of upgrade or reimbursement for this card. It is still within full warranty and you are entitled to a working replacement of the same card. -EVGA Tech Team

Would Stepping It Up be an option? If you're going to RMA it, might as well trade it in for a newer model. I'd get a video card that had 640mb rather than 320mb, though. You'll want that extra video ram, if not now, then surely in upcoming games. I'm already regretting settling for 256mb and would've spent the extra money for 512mb had I the chance to do my video card purchase again.

Would Stepping It Up be an option? If you're going to RMA it, might as well trade it in for a newer model. I'd get a video card that had 640mb rather than 320mb, though. You'll want that extra video ram, if not now, then surely in upcoming games. I'm already regretting settling for 256mb and would've spent the extra money for 512mb had I the chance to do my video card purchase again.

Step up only lasts 90 days, he said he's had the card for a year.

Id spend the $10 to ship it for an RMA. I dont believe theyve made the 6600GT for some time so you might get lucky and get something a little newer. Not an 8 series of course but Ive heard of people RMAing 6 series cards and getting a 7600GT.

I wouldnt be worried about getting a recertified/refurbished card either as they are usualy pretty heavily tested. And with evga, Im guessing a lot of the recertified cards are step up cards. Its not like when you step up the card just vanishes, they have to go somewhere;)

Id spend the $10 to ship it for an RMA. I dont believe theyve made the 6600GT for some time so you might get lucky and get something a little newer. Not an 8 series of course but Ive heard of people RMAing 6 series cards and getting a 7600GT.

I wouldnt be worried about getting a recertified/refurbished card either as they are usualy pretty heavily tested. And with evga, Im guessing a lot of the recertified cards are step up cards. Its not like when you step up the card just vanishes, they have to go somewhere;)

I'm thinking of saying screw rma'ing it and just get an new 8800GTS. I really don't wanna deal with any of that especially when I have to play all the shipping costs for a refurbished card. My options are either going with eVGA again or XFX. Does XFX have a better warranty on their products?

Isn't the EVGA warranty lifetime?

XFX will offer you pretty much the same thing if your card with them broke - A replacement card that's the same.

I'm thinking of saying screw rma'ing it and just get an new 8800GTS. I really don't wanna deal with any of that especially when I have to play all the shipping costs for a refurbished card. My options are either going with eVGA again or XFX. Does XFX have a better warranty on their products?

I'd say at least get your RMA and ebay it. Your entitled to a replacement if your card was defective. You might even get a 7600 out of it, you never know.

What's exactly wrong with a refurbished card?

You're not overclocking, and the card you get back will be running at stock, I'm sure. It's not as if they'll send you a broken card back.

XFX and Evga are about the same except XFX has a transferable lifetime warranty, should help resell value down the road, but Evga allows you to change cooling. I dont have an 8 series so I dont know alot about them. There might not be alot of aftermarket coolers out there so this may not matter to you.

I would still do the RMA and sell the newer card on ebay or the FS/Trade forum. Its better to get some extra cash then just pitching the card in the trash.

XFX and Evga are about the same except XFX has a transferable lifetime warranty, should help resell value down the road, but Evga allows you to change cooling. I dont have an 8 series so I dont know alot about them. There might not be alot of aftermarket coolers out there so this may not matter to you.

I would still do the RMA and sell the newer card on ebay or the FS/Trade forum. Its better to get some extra cash then just pitching the card in the trash.

Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna try and get the 8800 first and then rma this one sometime later. Which reminds me that I need to check out how much longer the warranty is valid for on this card. :rolleyes:

Back