- Joined
- Dec 2, 2008
- Messages
- 122
I have a 4870 x2. I'm running Windows 7 32 bit, I have an Intel i7 940 @2.93 GHz and the computer is about 2 years old. 3 GB RAM.
I've been playing Fallout 3 and every now and then it would crash. After "upgrading" to the 10.9 hotfix, it worked for awhile, but soon it got so that I couldn't even load the game-- it would just keep crashing and I would have to re-boot. When I tried to fix that reading through all the forums etc., things got worse so I just tried to re-install the 10.8 hotfix which would have occassional crashes, but at least I could play the game. At that point, the computer kept crashing and I couldn't install CCC or anything. So then I uninstalled the ATI drivers and CCC, ran driver sweeper and tried to re-install CCC, and it wouldn't install- just crashed the system and I had to reboot. Then I went to device manager, uninstalled the devices and the drivers. and for a while there I couldn't even get the computer to recognize the card again, but finally it did. I then re-installed the 10.8b hotfix, so at least my screen looks norma, and it actually installedl. However, even though device manager says everything is working and CCC appears normal, when I look through ATI tools, it says that cross-fire is not enabled. Then when I try to run Futuremark and then Splinter Cell Conviction, both with AI enabled and AI disabled, I get a crash and have to reboot all over again.
At this point, is it safe to assume that I need to get a new videocard? I would hate to do a clean install of Windows 7 only to end up in the same place.
Any advice would be appreicated. And if I do need a new card, would it just be simpler to get another 4870 x2 or doesn't it matter if I upgrade to another ATI card if I need a new one anyway? Thanks.
I just tried adding the Crossfire Profiles, and it all crashed again. I couldn't even get the computer to re-load windows after restarting it several times without doing a system restore. So the key question I have is: Do I have to replace the card or do a clean install of windows? I'd rather not do one and then find out I should have done the other.
I've been playing Fallout 3 and every now and then it would crash. After "upgrading" to the 10.9 hotfix, it worked for awhile, but soon it got so that I couldn't even load the game-- it would just keep crashing and I would have to re-boot. When I tried to fix that reading through all the forums etc., things got worse so I just tried to re-install the 10.8 hotfix which would have occassional crashes, but at least I could play the game. At that point, the computer kept crashing and I couldn't install CCC or anything. So then I uninstalled the ATI drivers and CCC, ran driver sweeper and tried to re-install CCC, and it wouldn't install- just crashed the system and I had to reboot. Then I went to device manager, uninstalled the devices and the drivers. and for a while there I couldn't even get the computer to recognize the card again, but finally it did. I then re-installed the 10.8b hotfix, so at least my screen looks norma, and it actually installedl. However, even though device manager says everything is working and CCC appears normal, when I look through ATI tools, it says that cross-fire is not enabled. Then when I try to run Futuremark and then Splinter Cell Conviction, both with AI enabled and AI disabled, I get a crash and have to reboot all over again.
At this point, is it safe to assume that I need to get a new videocard? I would hate to do a clean install of Windows 7 only to end up in the same place.
Any advice would be appreicated. And if I do need a new card, would it just be simpler to get another 4870 x2 or doesn't it matter if I upgrade to another ATI card if I need a new one anyway? Thanks.
I just tried adding the Crossfire Profiles, and it all crashed again. I couldn't even get the computer to re-load windows after restarting it several times without doing a system restore. So the key question I have is: Do I have to replace the card or do a clean install of windows? I'd rather not do one and then find out I should have done the other.
Last edited: