Is my card (7900GT) dead?

Santos L. Halper

Limp Gawd
In the last few weeks I've started having a problem with video corruption--as you can see from the pic below.

[URL="

This started out happening randomly while playing Bioshock or Civ IV, but now happens anytime a game gets past the 'loading' screen.

I can run 3DMark06 or other video tests forever and everything is fine.

I've sent two support emails to Evga and left a message with my callback number to their support line--so far I've heard nothing back. So I turn to the wisdom of the [H]. Is my poor, 3 year old 7900GT dead? I can sit here and use Photoshop or do anything within Windows...except play a game.:(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tried the latest Nvidia drivers (182.06) still happens.

PSU and temp readings seem fine.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Evga called back and said to see if it happens when I run Furmark. Going to try that now.

BTW, the machine in my sig is 11 hours Orthos stable as well. So I doubt it's the RAM or CPU.

i had an evga 7900gt up until like 1.5 years ago.

i could have tried to exchange under warranty but...i pissed on it when i upgraded

Oh yeah, I know that screen.. I had an XFX 7900GT and it too made that screen when I tried anything 3D, heck at the very end it also distorted anything 2D even the BIOS! Make preparations, that puppy is going to videocard heaven.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I've tried older drivers and newer drivers--still having the same problem.

I'm talked to Evga and they will RMA it for me.

Thanks.

My EVGA 7900GT had this screen anytime a 3D app changed resolutions. It was a known issue and drivers never fixed it.

I overclocked the Core and Memory a few Mhz and never saw the screen again.

My 7900gt was giving me problems with the last sets of Nvidia Vista 64bit drivers. Opening Media Player, DVD Shrink, or any video on the web would produce lines on the screen which lasted a minute or two and went away.

I was looking to upgrade so last week bought the 4870 and everything is nice. I had a good 3 years with the 7900gt and it served me will but still works. I threw it in my other pc using xp and it works great.

My 7900gt was giving me problems with the last sets of Nvidia Vista 64bit drivers. Opening Media Player, DVD Shrink, or any video on the web would produce lines on the screen which lasted a minute or two and went away.

I was looking to upgrade so last week bought the 4870 and everything is nice. I had a good 3 years with the 7900gt and it served me will but still works. I threw it in my other pc using xp and it works great.

Forgot to mention my issue was directly related to Vista also.

pls make sure you report back and tell us what they sent you. My guess is an 9800gt.

pls make sure you report back and tell us what they sent you. My guess is an 9800gt.

Not a problem.

Have the RMA label to send it back now. Just have to take off the Zalman vf900 and put the stock cooler (can't believe I saved it) back on tonight.

I'll send it out tomorrow morning. Should be about a 2 week turnaround time.

I got an 8800GS 384MB from XFX... and I was lucky! People were still getting 8600's for those... Oops I guess that's why there's an Evga in my computer now :)

lol, so I've been really busy lately and haven't been able to send it back.

Went to do that tonight and when taking a RAM heatsink off the card, the RAM chip pulled off. I was told to take off the Zalman VF900 I put on there and it came with the Ram sinks. I guess after being on there for 3 years, the RAM sinks are basically cemented on to the card.

No RMA for me anymore. Oh well. Time for a new card.

I got an 8800GS 384MB from XFX... and I was lucky! People were still getting 8600's for those... Oops I guess that's why there's an Evga in my computer now :)

I donno why you bring up allegiance to one brand over another just based on which (better) card you end up getting after the original one craps out. At least that XFX has a resellable warranty policy

To the OP, damn that really sucks. I've heard that happening a few times before, did you have luck with trying to twist off the ramsink like the top half of an oreo cookie? Turn the heatsink slightly before removing gently, that usually should work best

lol, so I've been really busy lately and haven't been able to send it back.

Went to do that tonight and when taking a RAM heatsink off the card, the RAM chip pulled off. I was told to take off the Zalman VF900 I put on there and it came with the Ram sinks. I guess after being on there for 3 years, the RAM sinks are basically cemented on to the card.

No RMA for me anymore. Oh well. Time for a new card.

Omfg

Dude, the SAME EXACT thing happened to me yesterday. I took my 7900 GT outta my system and took my VF900 off so I could put the original heatsink on. Then when I started taking the ramsinks off, when I got to the 3rd memory chip, it pulled the memory chip off the board with it.

Now I obviously can't RMA it. :mad::(:(:(:(:(

FUCK!!!!

Man, sorry to hear that Superhuman.

I hedged my bets. I figured I was about due for an upgrade and ordered a HIS HD4850 IceQ4 last week. It arrived today.:D

I was just going to use the Evga RMA as a back-up.;)

Clocks on the 4850 so far are 700/2200.

This thing kicks ass for $145. Can't believe what I've been missing.

Man, sorry to hear that Superhuman.

I hedged my bets. I figured I was about due for an upgrade and ordered a HIS HD4850 IceQ4 last week. It arrived today.:D

I was just going to use the Evga RMA as a back-up.;)

Clocks on the 4850 so far are 700/2200.

This thing kicks ass for $145. Can't believe what I've been missing.

Yea man, it blows. The difference between you and me though is that I was planning on using the replacement as my main card.

Now I dunno if I should buy a new video card or build a whole new system. I was planning on building a new system in a couple months......but I'm so confused right now.

If I buy a new card, I'm probably gonna need to buy a new power supply, and on top of it, it's just gonna be bottlenecked by my weak ass CPU. Is it worth it? Or should I build a new system right now? So confused!!! LOL

I donno why you bring up allegiance to one brand over another just based on which (better) card you end up getting after the original one craps out.

Because eVGA was giving 8800GT's and in some cases 9800GT's as replacements for the EXTREMELY faulty 7900 series while XFX was giving back 8600GTS until a few months ago. THAT is the kind of customer support I want, not the "we give you back whatever we want like it or not" line XFX gave to its customers. A happy customer is a returning customer.

tell evga what you did...they were most likely going to throw it in the garbage anyway. i say give it a shot...wait till friday, maybe you'll get a CS in a good mood to give you the green light.

tell evga what you did...they were most likely going to throw it in the garbage anyway. i say give it a shot...wait till friday, maybe you'll get a CS in a good mood to give you the green light.

Yea, I was planning on calling tomorrow and just being completely honest with them. Hopefully something works out.

Back