Is my 8600 GT dead?

azn712

Limp Gawd
I have a 8600 GT in my shuttle xpc. When i went to turn it on today. Nothing comes on to the screen. I just hear the fan going at a high speed. after checking everything, i discover that it is my video card's fault. I took the video card out of the case and everything works fine again.

So i plugged the video card back just to try it. here is exactly what happened. The computer would power on. however usb devices dont receive a signal from the computer and the monitor has no reaction. After about 3 seconds, it would shut itself off then start up again. Only this time, none of the lights in front of the computer would turn on. And the computer's fan as well as the graphic's fan would spin at highest revolution.

Is there anyway that i could test whether the graphics card is dead? I dont have access to an other tower.

thanks

Ask a friend to use their computer? Otherwise, it sounds like it's dead. Check for any burnt marks, or melted solder.

Without seeing it, and just given your description...it does sound dead. You may want to call the manufacturer. You may be lucky and it's still under warranty. :)

Good luck!

i just checked. there is no burn marks or melted solder.

This actually happened once before. 3 days prior to be exact. But it only took a restart to fix it.

Its one of 2 things.
1) Your power supply (and what would be what I check first). It may have just had its day and can no longer supply enough power to your hardware with the video card there.
2) Your video card. Usually when this goes out it has the same symptoms.

the computer powers on without video card. how could check my power supply?

i had this happen to one of my shuttles and it was actually the board that died on me... try getting a cheap video card to test or if you have another psu try that, it doesnt have to be a shuttle psu. eliminate the options. good luck.

just tried the video card on an other machine.( i know it has been 5 month, i got really lazy) and the card actually works.

tested the machine with an other graphics card, same symptom. I guess the pci-e slot is dead.
is there a way just replace the slot or something along the same line?

and how do i test whether it is the psu's fault?

Last edited:
same thing has been happening to me recently. i have an evga 8600gt and it started to do this last week. it was around the time i updated to the 190.38 nvidia drivers. i have the card installed in an old dell and sometimes when i start it up i can hear the fan spinning super fast and i dont even make it to the splash screen. the dell i have it in has diagnostic lights on the front when it fails to boot and i looked it up in the manual and it says that it is a graphics card related problem.

Back