Is my 7900GT defective?

poodlehead

n00b
Hey there and thanks for reading. I bought a 7900GT CO about a week ago and it works just dandy with World of Warcraft, but when I run farcry with water detail on highest settings I get white glitchy artifacts all over the water. This is the least of my problems though - When I play Oblivion I get these nasty glitchy artifacts covering my whole screen. They make the game unplayable.

I snatched this screenshot from a guy on a different forum because I can't take them in-game. This looks exactly like what I'm experiencing though and his thread wasn't able to get an answer.

I've tried many different video card drivers including all of the newest ones. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: My system specs are:
Opteron165 1.8Ghz Dual core processor
EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT CO
Enermax EG565P-VE Fma ATX12V V2.0 20/24PIN 535W 2FAN SLI Ready PSU
Seagate Barracuda 300GB 7200.9 16MB 11MS SATA2 HD
DFI LANParty UT NF4 ULTRA-D Motherboard
1Gb of junk PC2100 RAM

To be honest I have no idea. I can't remember exactly which forum I found that picture on. I just snatched it because I get the exact same problem. Thanks for the reply.

try RMAing the card first, there were problems with a large batch of CO eVGA cards.

Yes, RMA your card ASAP. I had a similar problem w/ my 7900gtx 512 at stock settings and higher. It wasn't just eVGA, it was BFG, XFX, etc. The blame lies on Nvidia, not eVGA.

I also had similar problems with a BFG 6800 OC. I RMAed it and got an eVGA instead and didn't have anymore problems :)

(If you can't tell this is LOTR: BFME)
artifacts2.JPG

WOW......that looks like crap!!!!

Why are so many people having problems with the 7900gt? Seems mostly, from what ive seen, its eVGA cards....

NewEgg has an 8 hour special going on atm on an eVGA 7900gt KO for only $288..I was sitting here debating if I should put off a bill or 2 so I can get it NOW, but I keep coming back in this forum and keep seeing people saying their card is artifacting.......Oyyyy....

Should I take the chance?

Back