Is my 680i motherboard useful again using the new GPU client?

brycejones

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a 680i motherboard that has 2 16x and 1 16x(8x electrical) slots. I was thinking that I could start off with 3 9600GSO cards. The way the slots are spaced I could also upgraded 3 9800gx2's at some point. But spending less $200 to get to 15k points a day out of one box is really tempting.

Would this config work?

Should work just fine.

As long as the slots on the mobo are 4x or higher and you have enough headroom on your PSU.... go for it.

Yeah. I'd like to know also :confused: I currenty have 2x GA-G31M-S2L mobos with Q6600's. One quad has a PNY 8800GT GPU and the other quad has a eVGA 8800GS GPU. My third boxen has a "uber cheapo" ECS GF7100PVT-M3 mobo (I think it was a Fry's special or something) with a "dual slot" eVGA 9600GSO GPU (I got "brand new" on fleabay for USD $70.77 shipped, no MIR). One quad is OC'ed to 3.0 Ghz and the other quad is OC'ed to 2.93. The third boxen is a E6600 OC'ed to 3.0 Ghz (1333 in BIOS, bummer board only jumps 800, 1066 and 1333 on FSB BIOS adjustments)

What I was wondering could I go with a MSI P6N SLI Platinum (650i chipset) or should I go with the 680i chipset like a MSI P6N Diamond ? Basically would I be better served with a 680i chipset over a 650i chipset for a pretty much "pure" 24/7 folder.?

Being a "dyed in the wool" member of the "el cheapo club" I have come up with this plan. Seeing as I'd like to have only 3x boxen suckin' electrical juice. I could replace the 8800GT with a 9800GX2. Then I could put the 8800GT and 8800GS in the multi slotted PCIe mobo (either a 650i or a 680i) Then I could "crunch" the shite outa' 4x "CUDA" capable GPU's (only 3x cards) and get my meager PpD from a little more than 14k ([H]ard stats) to maybe 20 big ones. :eek: :p

Anyway you look at it I replace the ECS mobo (like most ECS no overclocking), get another GPU core chompin' and keep my fledgeling "truck garden" at only 3 boxen suckin' expensive electrical power. I know I'll need another PSU because the biggest I have is a 600w and that'll be feeding the 9800GX2. (the other two boxen have TT 430's) :)

Someone please step up to the "plate" and please give me some advice. Until a couple of months ago I thought "CUDA" was a "Barracuda" and now it's a GPU card capability thing and the Republican VP nomminie's "nick name" from the great state of Alaska. :eek:

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

I have a 680i motherboard that has 2 16x and 1 16x(8x electrical) slots. I was thinking that I could start off with 3 9600GSO cards. The way the slots are spaced I could also upgraded 3 9800gx2's at some point. But spending less $200 to get to 15k points a day out of one box is really tempting.

Would this config work?

Just curious, when did the 680i board become not useful? If you bought an EVGA and are having problems you do have that life time warrantee;)

Just curious, when did the 680i board become not useful? If you bought an EVGA and are having problems you do have that life time warrantee;)

I thin it is a subjective.....

As in it can't run the newest 45nm chips from Intel.

Yes, the 680i is a bit useless with quads, especially 45nm so SMP folding is not that useful. OTOH, GPU folding is great on it due to the amount of slots ;)

So the evga 680i mobo isn't compatible with the 45nm cpus?
I want to get a e8400 would it work wit the evga 680i mobo?

I just got two asus striker extreme and I have one almost complete just waiting on PSU, im going to try and get 3 8800gt's
currently one one, but running out of funds ;(

I just took the stats off my PSU and it's a Zippy Emacs GSM-6600P G1 600w PSU. What do you think my watts would increase from a PNY 8800GT to a 9800GX2. Also what do you think the boxen with a eVGA 8800GS and a PNY 8800GT in a ASUS P5N-E would draw. ATM my PNY 8800GT boxen draws about 280w and my eVGA 8800GS boxen draws about 220w. I'm tryin' my best to stay under 680w (I have a TrippLite 850 battery backup, it's max is 680w). Both boxen are WC'ed (MCP350, 2x D12SH-12 fans) and together drawing at the wall with a Kill-o-watt meter about 500w. My E6600 and "double slot" eVGA 9600GSO has it's own battery backup PSU (an old APC 600). For some unknown reason with the same shader clock and 80% cooling fan (E6600 OC'ed 3.0 Ghz) it gets about 100 PpD less than my eVGA 8800GS (Q6600 OC'ed 2.93 Ghz. (a 100 PpD ain't no big thing anyway) :rolleyes:

Another reason I'm askin' is I just purchased a new ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard for USD $34.97 (I just made it) and after shipping and taxes it comes to USD $50.60. What I've been thinking is I can "double up" with the eVGA 8800GS and the left over PNY 8800GT and boost my PpD a little more. I know the old saw about "the best laid plans of mice and men" and I'll know for sure when I get the shite together. ;)

Any advice would be highly appreciated (like how big a PSU I'll need for the ASUS project or anything special I should know about multi PCIe mobos:confused:). I know the board is only a 650i, but I'll only try to OC' it to 3.0 Ghz and use it 99.9% 24/7 folding and WCGing. :D

Edit: Oh yeah, the ASUS I'm getting only has 2x PCIe slots. From what I've researched if you install two cards they only run at 8x, is this gonna screw up my GPU2 folding immensely (I'm gettin' about 5,000 PpD outa' my GSO and about 5100 PpD outa' my GS) :confused:

EDIT: Come on, someone that has experience folding (DCing) with "multi" graphics GPU's (like power consumption) and "muti PCIe mobos" please join in and advise this "computer intellect challenged " guy. Up until a little while ago I thought "CUDA" (Baracuda) was a fish (not the US VP candidate or a GPU thing) and "lanes" were like construction lanes, passing lanes, HOV lanes (carpool, metro buses), etc. Although this may be a little off topic, it's still about the "multi PCIe" mobos (like the thread start I think) and I kinda asked the the 680i chipset (kind of thread topic) vs the 650i chipset (ASUS P5N-E, which I just purchased )mobos question. (sheesh, I ain't even talking about experienced folders, like VJ was referring to with the SMP client :eek:)

PS I trust the people on the [H]orde about anything folding related much more than I trust a lot of the psuedo, condescending, "wanna be" BS'ers on forums like the Stanford F@H page. ;)

PSS I humbly appologize to the "thread cops" I promise to do better next time :rolleyes:

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

While I can't answer JWS's questions since I'm noob to multi-GPU folding. I am putting 3 9600GSO's in my 680i box. :)

Ok, so what is the best way to monitor the temps of my cards. Speedfan, Ntune? I downloaded Riva tuner.

What ever works for you.

I normaly just set the fan to 70-80% and let it run.

If it crashes I need to lower OC or up Fan :D

Back