• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

is my 4870x2 broken?

myndcrime

Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
624
First off, let me state that this only happens when the background is completely black. not even dark grey, COMPLETELY BLACK

when I boot up, there are red lines going across the BLACK parts of the screen. Not the grey text, but only the pure black parts of the screen.

When I get it into windows, the same thing happens, but when I turn up the resolution from 800x600 to 1920x1200, it *Seemed* to go away. But now I notice that against a pure black background, instead of red lines, there's little flickering red dots. I'm assuming that the lines haven't went away, they're just harder to see at a higher resolution....

The temperature is fine on my card, it rarely goes over 70c. I've tried the card in a different system, and tried a different card in my system, I'm pretty sure it's the card.
 
Drivers can cause that believe it or not. I'll try uninstallling reinstalling the drivers/CCC.
 
And what about games and videos?

I say ignore it, only IF it does not happen in games or videos.
 
try drivers, if that doesn't work...call tech support...sorry to hear about your bum experience
 
Drivers can cause that believe it or not. I'll try uninstallling reinstalling the drivers/CCC.

I've tried 3 different drivers, I get the same thing on all of them. Only once have I booted up without the red lines and I have no idea how that happened.

also, when I lower my resolution to 800x600, the whole screen fills up with static. Almost like on a tv, but you can still see what's underneath.

i tried to take a screenshot of this but weirdly enough it doesn't show up

and I would RMA it but 1) I don't want to pay the shipping costs and 2) I bought it from canada, and they don't even have my card in stock anymore. They can't send me a replacement.
 
I've tried 3 different drivers, I get the same thing on all of them. Only once have I booted up without the red lines and I have no idea how that happened.

also, when I lower my resolution to 800x600, the whole screen fills up with static. Almost like on a tv, but you can still see what's underneath.

i tried to take a screenshot of this but weirdly enough it doesn't show up

Sounds like faulty card, as i recommended earlier RMA it but first just to make sure try the drivers again.

EDIT: Well you edited after I quoted, the original card manufacturer would accept the RMA. And also the shipping shouldn't cost to much, plus if you spent $400+ on a card you could easily pay for shipping.
 
Then I'd do as yang88she suggested, call tech support. They should either give suggestions on trouble shooting/ask what you've done to trouble shoot or give you a RMA.
 
who's tech support should I call? NCIXUS or HIS?

edit

looks like HIS tech support is sort of non-existent. The link for RMA's on their website is broken, and I can't find a phone number.

I was really hoping I didn't get a broken card. Crap.
 
If end user is unable to obtain the RMA services from his/her suppliers due to whatever reason, please kindly go through our RMA process for replacement. User have to provide us the followng information and submit to us by email RMA@hightech.com.hk :

1. Product description
2. Model Code.
3. Series Number (see bottom images for reference)
4. Name of the supplier
5. Address of return the RMA item
 
If end user is unable to obtain the RMA services from his/her suppliers due to whatever reason, please kindly go through our RMA process for replacement. User have to provide us the followng information and submit to us by email RMA@hightech.com.hk :

1. Product description
2. Model Code.
3. Series Number (see bottom images for reference)
4. Name of the supplier
5. Address of return the RMA item

I saw that, but it says for regions outside of the US. I live in California
 
Worth trying to email that link MastaFlyMason found. Maybe they will give you the correct contact info.
 
Would it be possible to return this to NCIXUS and order a different brand? I really don't feel like waiting a month for an RMA.
 
What's NCIXUS RMA/Return policy? If they will exchange a faulty card for a replacement, I'd try that first.
 
All products returned to us must be accompanied by a valid Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number issued by NCIXUS.com within 30 days or 1 year (depending on the warranty period for that product) of your original invoice date, for most retail merchandise.

I've only had it for 2 weeks, so I'm still covered. I really just want to return this card, get my money back, and go buy a different brand.
 
They might charge a restocking fee if you choose to refund purchase another brand vs. exchange a bad card for a good one though.

Since you're still under their warranty period, contact them NOW! :D
 
I wouldn't mind exchanging cards but the HIS card isn't even in stock.. I'd be waiting a month to get a card back.

I tried calling NCIX but was sent to voicemail...

I swear this is the last time I buy an ATI card
 
Don't swear off ATi. Just use newegg next time. Yes they charge sales tax, but they are so easy to work with if a refund/RMA is needed.
 
They are price gouging. I bought this card for $510 when the same card costs $560 on newegg. Add in sales tax and that's another $100.

Also, ATi cards have crappy support. HIS doesn't even DO their own tech support, what the hell is that? At least with my nvidia card there was a number I could call.

Stupid cheap chinese brands ftl.
 
Buy Visontek/Asus/Gigabyte/ or Saphire brands, I like the support they give.
I know ill get grilled over the Saphire recomendation but They rmaed my faulty X1800XT no problem.
 
well I opened an RMA with ncix to get a refund. I'll be sending it back and buying a different brand....
 
Hope it goes smooth for you myndcrime.
Rumors are the CAT8.9s are due out next week, so you'll have a new driver to install. :)
 
yea but why would my boot up screen be messed up? it did this before I even loaded drivers
 
Glad you were able to return it, funny how everyone was praising HIS before, but seeing all the loops you had to jump through...I'm glad I went Sapphire.

Hope you get a new card soon, sucks that you got a lemon
 
Bad card? That's why you're getting hopefully a good one that overclocks so high, you'll get blown back from the montior while playing games. :p
 
yea but why would my boot up screen be messed up? it did this before I even loaded drivers

wat output did you use, hdmi, dvi, or vga?

Also. is ncixus giving you a full refund? or are you exchanging it for another card? Also did ncixus charge you anything for the RMA?
 
Oh, and also, does anyone know if powercolor is a decent brand? I found one here for only $490
 
DVI with an HDMI adapter to connect it to my moniter, which doesn't have a DVI port

but like I said this never happened on my 8800 gtx

same thing happened to me, i doubt its the card. when ever it booted up everytihng that was black displayed red. the bios screen, windows, everything. and that was using the dvi to hdmi adapter also. i got tv out only to work through compenent which worked fine.
 
haha well, it depends on what the return policy is @ the place you are buying it from ;)
 
same thing happened to me, i doubt its the card. when ever it booted up everytihng that was black displayed red. the bios screen, windows, everything. and that was using the dvi to hdmi adapter also. i got tv out only to work through compenent which worked fine.

really? hmm.. ill have to try

I switched the moniter to the other output and now everything looks fine. I feel like such a retard.
 
LoL, well that saved you RMA'n a good card. Now geta gamin. :)
 
Don't feel bad. It will help another having the same problem.
Speaking for myself, I don't know everything and am always learning.

"Before I started here, I couldn't even spell expert. Now I are one!" :D
 
really? hmm.. ill have to try

I switched the moniter to the other output and now everything looks fine. I feel like such a retard.

Haha i started a thread about the same problem and resolved it after 2 hrs of getting no help haha :) And dont feel like a retard, your original problem wasn't fixed, i just gave you a another means of outputting it. HDMI has its advantage of being one small cable as well as being able to output audio through the cards hdmi. So its still worth finding out how to correctly output it, but its not the card itself who is at fault, there is something else. Maybe its the adapter's we're all using, since the dvi port on the card is fine, but when the adapter changes the signal from dvi to hdmi we all get the problems. So this still is a topic that should be kept open and tried to be fixed.
 
err, ok, I'm still getting "red pixels" now. it was fine for a day or two but now I'm getting flickers of red pixels, etc.

The problem is that my moniter doesn't have a DVI input >< if this keeps up, I'll have to buy a new moniter.. which would suck. a lot.
 
Back
Top