• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Is my 2600k bad?

Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
2,850
Ok so I'm on my second MB had the Asus pro now I have the MSI GD65. I'm having the same issues. Random reboots, and a posting loop where I have to turn the PSU switch off and then back on to get it to post. It's not the ram I took the ram out of my i5 home server thats been up for over a year 24/7 and it does the same thing. It will random reboot just running memtest, memtest will pass on both sets of ram. Has done it in the bios once. Took out my 6970 and put in a 9800 gt just to make sure it's not the card. Still does it. Turned of every power saving option I could find in the bios still does it. Will do it just ideling not doing anything at all. I have run 10 pass of intel burn in test and it passed. So if any one can help I would be greatful. Thanks
 
You need to fiddle with your VCCIO and VCCSA alittle, prolly up your ram volts a tad. Also, don't go so much by the "IBT is king" this time. You need to run Prime or equiv for this one. Lots of them pass IBT but fail prime.
 
You need to fiddle with your VCCIO and VCCSA alittle, prolly up your ram volts a tad. Also, don't go so much by the "IBT is king" this time. You need to run Prime or equiv for this one. Lots of them pass IBT but fail prime.

He didn't say he was overclocking. If it is at stock speeds then he shouldn't have to mess with any settings to get it stable.
 
Not true, never go by stock voltages for anything. Some offset less or more, some are just downright wrong. Always check stuff yourself.
 
Havn't tried a difrent PSU but it's only like 2 months old and it was running my i7 920@4.0ghz just fine. Might just take my i5 cpu and MB and toss it in this case and see if it works fine tommrow. It reboots just random can have prime running and a game it's fine. Then go to read a forum and it reboots just doesn't make any sence.
 
Have you tried clearing the CMOS via the RTC jumper? I was having issues until I did that on my P8P67 Pro.
 
FWIW I had these problems on a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 until a BIOS update came out.
 
Yep did it on my P8P67 PRO and my new MSI 65. No joy. Tried manualy setting the ram timmings and voltage. Turned off all power saving items on the cpu. I just can't figure it out never had this many problems on any build.
 
Ill try bumping the pch today. Just dont think i should have to do all this just to be stable. I knew i should of kept my i7 920.
 
Havn't tried a difrent PSU but it's only like 2 months old and it was running my i7 920@4.0ghz just fine. Might just take my i5 cpu and MB and toss it in this case and see if it works fine tommrow. It reboots just random can have prime running and a game it's fine. Then go to read a forum and it reboots just doesn't make any sence.

Don't just assume the power supply is good because its new. If you have had those same set of problems with two motherboard, different GPUs, and different RAM, the power supply is a likely culprit at this point.
 
Im putting my 1156 i5 and mb in the case today to test. Be using the same memory, video card, hard drives and psu as the 2600k setup to test everything.
 
Not true, never go by stock voltages for anything. Some offset less or more, some are just downright wrong. Always check stuff yourself.

You should NEVER have to adjust CPU voltage IF everything is running at stock speed, If you have to do that to get the system stable then something is faulty.
 
Well my i5 750 and gigabyte MB are in. Lets see how this works. Using the same ram, video card and PSU as the 2600k.
 
Well it's the CPU. My i5 is going strong with no reboots. Guess I'll be sending it off tommrow for RMA. Now I hate I did'nt keep my Asus pro :( all well...
 
You should NEVER have to adjust CPU voltage IF everything is running at stock speed, If you have to do that to get the system stable then something is faulty.


BS bro. Some boards undervolt on all components by default. If they are undervolting the stock volts and you don't know otherwise, you may run into issues. It doesn't happen alot but it has to me over the years more than a few times. Usually cpu volts are not the main problem, a slight undervolt usually doesn't bother anything. But other components, yes.
 
Got my new Chip today and it works great. Runs alot cooler and is only hitting 1.17v at full load at stock speeds. Still can't belive the damn chip was bad.
 
Back
Top