Is multi cpu the way to go for pure bf4 performance?

Lith1um

2[H]4U
I was Just thinking about how Frostbite can use 8 threads.

I have a 2600k, which of course is a quad with hyper threading, and it will run eight threads.

Which makes me wonder if dual quads would offer optimal performance since each thread could have it's own individual core to itself?

/possibly, with hyper threading disabled for the highest overclocking potential....Although that probably wouldn't be necessary. Probably wouldn't go that far.......

Any thoughts?

1) Dual Intel processors would require xeons.
2) A lot of xeons are not overclockable (especially those that work in dual cpu configurations)

My advice is wait for Haswell-E next year.

SR2's and L5639's can be had for relatively cheap. You could achieve at least 3.0-3.2ghz out of them. Don't forget you will need a large case like 750D or 900D. Also, you will need a nice sized psu for the two overclocked cpu's and however many video cards you have.

throwing 2 processors introduces latency. Yes it may improve performance, but I believe a single extreme processor Haswell-E would probably bring a huge noticeable performance improvement, without lag.

BF4 is not SMP aware, Just Single Processor/Multi-Core aware.

Meaning, that if you a dual-cpu system...BF4 will only read the first processor (and cores on that CPU) while the other processor sits idle, unless youhave other apps that take advantage of a multi-CPU configuration (Photoshop, After Effects, Maya3D, ect ect...)

just buy a six-core CPU and call it a day, I cant believe you are being this serious over a game.

You need a GPU more than a CPU. Your current CPU is more than enough. Get a R290X or something similar on the GPU end and you will not look back.

OP, just because there are 8 threads doesn't mean they all have something important to do at all times. The real problems always come in at minimum framerate, when one thing you need to do (out of many) is lagging behind all the others, and you are extremely unlikely to 8 threads all actually doing work on this one thing.

BF4 is not SMP aware, Just Single Processor/Multi-Core aware.

Meaning, that if you a dual-cpu system...BF4 will only read the first processor (and cores on that CPU) while the other processor sits idle, unless youhave other apps that take advantage of a multi-CPU configuration (Photoshop, After Effects, Maya3D, ect ect...)

This is completely untrue, sorry.

Just threading goes over multiple CPUs the same way it goes over multiple cores.

FPS games are mostly GPU intensive vs being CPU intensive. You have to make sure your setup doesn't cause a bottleneck, CPU/GPU combo. Your CPU is more than enough for the game, over clock it if you really need to. RTS games like sins of a solar empire are very CPU intensive, that game needs as much juice as possible.

Back