Is MS Windows Home Server Available for Purchase yet?

TheBluePill

2[H]4U
I See that it launched today at CES and they even have a Website up for it; http://stopdigitalamnesia.com/ but I can't find it at any of the online stores. Does anyone know if it is available for purchase or when? Looks great for all of the backup features alone.

Holly crap! This is the first I've seen of this, but man, at first glance this looks really neat!

"For example, WHS servers are headless, and you couldn't connect a keyboard, mouse, or display to one if you wanted to. Instead, there are only two ports on a WHS server--for the power cord and Ethernet--and a single power switch. (That's right, it's wired only. You are expected to connect the WHS box to your home network's router, and PC clients can be wired or wireless.)"

Its a glorified NAS. Nothing more, nothing less.

"For example, WHS servers are headless, and you couldn't connect a keyboard, mouse, or display to one if you wanted to. Instead, there are only two ports on a WHS server--for the power cord and Ethernet--and a single power switch. (That's right, it's wired only. You are expected to connect the WHS box to your home network's router, and PC clients can be wired or wireless.)"

Its a glorified NAS. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Microsoft will make WHS available in two ways: Bundled with new WHS hardware and software-only, the latter so that enthusiasts can install the system on the hardware of their choice."

I dunno, I would say if I'm installing it myself I'll be able to connect whatever the heck I want (including keyboard, mouse, and monitor). And if I can use it with a kb, mouse, and monitor maybe I can install bit torrent and use it over the web ui, maybe configure it as a router, maybe even set up IIS. It all depends how locked down they make it, but I think where there is a will, there is a way.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/ces/docs/WHSFS.doc

The data sheet for Home Server...

Looks promising, most definitely.

WOW.. It will even connect to your 360 to act as a media server and back it up..

From what it says, there is a whole host of Admin features;

Simple control of all features through Windows Home Server Console
View of backup status of home computers
Ability to configure user accounts
Ability to configure shared folders to enable automatic duplication when home server has two or more hard drives
View of health status of home network
Easy adjustment of server settings

Its like Windows Server, SMS and Backup Exec, All rolled in to one..

Back