Is lapping worth it?

NukeULater

Gawd
I have a thermalright 120 extreme, is it worth lapping? Or should I just leave it alone?

I'm running my Q6700 at the following settings. At 100% load it's 57C is that good?

PWM_Temps.jpg

BIOS_3333MHz_2.jpg

One thing says your cpu temp is 40 and the other says 57... which is right? It can help lower temps a couple more degrees, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you are getting bad temps.

One thing says your cpu temp is 40 and the other says 57... which is right? It can help lower temps a couple more degrees, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you are getting bad temps.
uGuru (40C) is always wrong, so I'm placing my bets on coretemp (57C). From what I've read uGuru is usually low by about 15C, which places it right in line with coretemp.

might wanna try coretmp 0.96 to see if ur temps are the same.

0.96 gave me different temps than older versions.

Lapping only helps if your heatspreader isn't flat and you're not getting good contact with your heatsink.

1.232V load and 57C?

I say give it a shot.

Use the razorblade test on your CPU and HS, you'll probably be surprised.

i saw prime it a bit more (you've only done it for about 5 mins i believe) and after about 6 hours or so if it doesn't go past 65C then you're good. no point in wasting your time lapping and risk damage or worse temps

i saw prime it a bit more (you've only done it for about 5 mins i believe) and after about 6 hours or so if it doesn't go past 65C then you're good. no point in wasting your time lapping and risk damage or worse temps
I've run Prime for 8 hour before that screenie. It waw the same temp.

Lapping only helps if your heatspreader isn't flat and you're not getting good contact with your heatsink.

Agreed - let's be very explicit:

You don't lap because you want lower temperatures.

You lap because the CPU package and/or the heatsink are not flat.

If they are flat, lapping will do nothing but cost you time and, possibly, a lot of money to replace what you messed up or broke. You can probably get better results from buying a better heatsink than lapping one that's already reasonably flat.

uGuru (40C) is always wrong, so I'm placing my bets on coretemp (57C). From what I've read uGuru is usually low by about 15C, which places it right in line with coretemp.

Odd. In the past abit always read about 10c too high and ASUS read 10c too low. (The latter is still true.)

Yes, lapping is worth it. I have 2 quads both with lapped thermalright ultra extremes. They are not very flat out of the box. The second one I got would only make good contact in about a 2mm section of the base. You would think that for a $60 cooler they could do a better job. Here is a shot of prime a 3.7ghz, using 2 yate loon medium fans in push pull. Before lapping I would be in the 70's :eek:

I agree, to you mind posting what cooler you are using?
I'm using a thermalright 120 extreme.

Thanks for all the info! I'll take the cooler off when my HR-05/HR-09s come. I'll make sure I check the base for flatness, if needed I'll lap it. I've read the 120 extreme is hard to lap, any pointers?

I'm using a thermalright 120 extreme.

Thanks for all the info! I'll take the cooler off when my HR-05/HR-09s come. I'll make sure I check the base for flatness, if needed I'll lap it. I've read the 120 extreme is hard to lap, any pointers?

It is hard to lap because it is tall and heavy, and so it is easy to tip it over a little as you work on it, rounding off the corners in the process. Take it slow and easy and use some water on the sandpaper. Also hold the cooler by the base if you can, not by the top, so there is less tilting force on it.

It is hard to lap because it is tall and heavy, and so it is easy to tip it over a little as you work on it, rounding off the corners in the process. Take it slow and easy and use some water on the sandpaper. Also hold the cooler by the base if you can, not by the top, so there is less tilting force on it.
Cool thanks!

It is awkward to hold, but don't stress too much about rounding the corners. I slightly rounded them on one of mine.

Back