• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is it wrong that I'm seriously considering this?

semisonic9

Gawd
Joined
May 2, 2005
Messages
769
I find myself strangely seduced by the allure of this build: http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php#update3 (Be sure to watch the video)

Honestly, that's cooler than just about any rig I've seen. It would be quite a conversation piece for the uber-nerd crowd. Performance wise, you get pretty good temps and stability and what I imagine would be almost totally silent operation.

Compare the time/money spent on this versus the time/money spent on a nice case and a custom WC rig to the price/performance ratio of the two, and I think there's a compelling argument to be made here. I mean, if you're already looking at $200-300 for full tower and $200-300 for a water system, you'd probably even come out ahead going this route.

That being said...I'm a chicken. I'd probably start like they did, with an old P4 system I've got lying around, and take it from there. I'm also worried about a) components breaking down early, b) resale value for any parts I may want to swap {or lack thereof} and c) filtering the oil over the course of a long build.

Discuss.

~S
 
I think it's pretty safe to say the resale value of pretty much everything submerged in mineral oil would have exactly zero resale value.

The oil build is a great conversation piece but that's about it. Yes those temps are great but frankly they are massive overkill. The parts are designed to run at a much higher temperature for the life of the part.

I'd stick with a watercooled setup personally and keep some value in the parts. Not to mention the first time you have to move a rig filled with oil probably won't be pretty.

To answer you question though, no it isn't wrong by any means. The site is based entirely on the basis of trying new ideas and doing it your own way. It's great that you are putting the thought into it. I just don't think it's a good idea. :D
 
Hoobie7 and I are trying to get this set up with a couple peltier's and a pump in a 20 gallon fish tank. Just waiting on the fish tank, keep an eye out
 
Ha that look's sweet, especially with like 40 seconds left when they turn the bubbles on.
 
Hoobie7 and I are trying to get this set up with a couple peltier's and a pump in a 20 gallon fish tank. Just waiting on the fish tank, keep an eye out

Cool. Keep me up to date on it, if you don't mind.

~S

PS- 20 gallon fish tank will be a ton of extra space, won't it?
 
That's an interesting approach to quieting a computer. No dust is the biggest pro for me.
But I would still have to pass on the idea. Will 88C cook french fries though?
 
I think it's a cool idea, and would be neat to see. Like everyone else, though, not sure if it's enough to make me try it out, haha, but it's definitely pretty sweet. The only downside I wouldn't be too fond of is this:
Overall, the biggest downside we have found is that the oil wicks down the cabling and makes a mess. Its amusing at first to find oil seeping out of your mouse, but gets annoying very quickly! We recommend making extensive use of wireless (especially bluetooth) for a system like this. There's no reason why you can't run only a power cord and video cables to the box, and take care of everything else wirelessly.

I wouldn't be too excited when oil started seeping out of my mouse and keyboard, but I guess you could go wireless like they mention, haha. If you're going to try this out, or anyone else for that matter, definately post up a work log or something. I remember this idea coming up and seeing some pics around here a ways back. Someone even made a custom case that held the tank that looked pretty nice.
 
Yeah, I'm not sure that can't be avoided with carefull wiring. Honestly, I hate wireless peripherals.

~S
 
Yeah, for some reason I prefer wired as well, haha. Just something about wireless, doesn't do it for me.
 
Put oil in, and then water.. and have the fish on bottom because it's separated and won't mix, the oil and water that is.
 
I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GUY ARE TALKING ABOUT..............................




jk

Yeah I'm at work posting without thinking :x
 
Yeah I'm at work posting without thinking :x

lol, I've been doing that a lot lately...
a couple days ago I recommended a 3850 that was PCI-e to a guy looking for AGP :eek:
lawl, I suck

On topic: OP if you do decide to do this you should definitely post a work log... That would be a crazy-cool project... :D
 
Food Coloring, Black light, just finding the right radiator is the only thing left to do.
 
this computer company called eprimedesigns actually sells a computer like this but uses a liquid cooling (oil) block the cpu. I'd want to see the warranty on this thing, but on the pudget it doesn't seem like a problem after a year. Also i think you can probably drain the system into a large canister before moving it, but is the wow factor worth the hassle?
 
It is a cool idea, but of course, like quite a few cool ideas, it is completely impractical.
 
It's not wrong, but you should consider it again. And again. And after that, reconsider everything a few times again.
 
this computer company called eprimedesigns actually sells a computer like this but uses a liquid cooling (oil) block the cpu. I'd want to see the warranty on this thing, but on the pudget it doesn't seem like a problem after a year. Also i think you can probably drain the system into a large canister before moving it, but is the wow factor worth the hassle?

I'm not sure.

Realistically, I don't move my desktop rigs that much, so I'm not that uber-worried about that. I've got a build coming up sometime in the next few weeks or so that I'll probably play it safe with (lian li, air-cooled), but that old P4 build is just begging to be submerged!

After I work on it a bit with the older tech, and fine-tune some of the details...who knows? I may make it my chrismas project to part out my July build and swap the tech into the tank, and sell off or store the pieces I don't need anymore. *shrug* I'm considering lots of options.

It's also worth noting that I'm thinking about starting up a little computer-building business of my own in the next year or so (1-2 projects a month, just a "cash on the side" kind of thing for people in the area who'd like a local touch) and this would be a nice show-piece.

~S
 
Back
Top