Is it worth upgrading?

DefJae

n00b
My local computer shop ran out of the i7 2600K. I had to settle for the i5 2500K, but seeing the majority here has the 2600K I'm starting to regret my impulse buying. What to do what to do?

Sounds like we have a winner...

I've been stuck in my house, because of the storm. I tried reaching a max OC of 5ghz, but I think my Air cooler is the limiting factor. I ran into a video in youtube of a guy hitting 5ghz on air hmm...

If you are anything like me, you might as well buy the 2600k... That regret will always be in the back of your mind...

EDIT: 5ghz...??? Really? Wow... Time to try OCing mine...

After reading few articles, I think the i5 2500K is a great buy. The difference between the two does not warrant the extra $100 unless you are doing heavy video editing. For gaming and day to day use I think this machine will do, for now! hehehehe!

BTW I found the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q91tE7EOZBQ

If you are anything like me, you might as well buy the 2600k... That regret will always be in the back of your mind...

EDIT: 5ghz...??? Really? Wow... Time to try OCing mine...

If that's a gaming rig, the difference between the i5 and i7 is virtually nonexistent so there really isn't any reason to drop an extra $100. You'd be better off selling that GTX480 and buying a GTX580. The money would be about the same and you'd get a much bigger boost in performance.

Not a bad idea, I was actually looking at the eVGA GTX 580 superclocked. Only problem is finding someone who would want to buy a used video card.

If that's a gaming rig, the difference between the i5 and i7 is virtually nonexistent so there really isn't any reason to drop an extra $100. You'd be better off selling that GTX480 and buying a GTX580. The money would be about the same and you'd get a much bigger boost in performance.

I got the 2600k, running at 4.4 Ghz.

I see both sides of the issue. I regret spending the extra 100$ dollars, but at the same time I'm ocd and wanted to have the best. However I really believe the extra benefits to be almost worthless (worth perhaps several percent). If I could go back in time I would probably go back in time and get a larger SSD.

I should have saved the money and just got a 2500k. I do nothing that warrants the HT, just gaming mostly.

My thoughts with you, I also need a larger SSD. With the $100 I saved I can put it towards another SSD drive. I may still upgrade to 2600K in the future. This little guy is a beast...

I got the 2600k, running at 4.4 Ghz.

I see both sides of the issue. I regret spending the extra 100$ dollars, but at the same time I'm ocd and wanted to have the best. However I really believe the extra benefits to be almost worthless (worth perhaps several percent). If I could go back in time I would probably go back in time and get a larger SSD.

Upgrading to a 2600k from a 2500k is retarded unless you can sell your 2500k for a high enough price and the 2600k has dropped low enough that you spend very little out of pocket. If you already have a 2500k, your next upgrade should be for a CPU with 8 real cores.

Or use the money for a SSD and overclock the damn 480 to near or above stock 580 speeds.

Definitely putting the extra cash on another SSD drive. I'm a bit hesitant to overclock my 480 till I get a decent cooler on it. I read on here a few people frying their 480.

Or use the money for a SSD and overclock the damn 480 to near or above stock 580 speeds.

I went with 2500k and have no regrets at all. Keep your 2500k for now and OC the hell out of it. Then when ivybridge comes out upgrade to that.

Definitely putting the extra cash on another SSD drive. I'm a bit hesitant to overclock my 480 till I get a decent cooler on it. I read on here a few people frying their 480.

Have had my 480 for months, oc'ed past stock GTX 580 speeds with voltages raised. NP just make sure you jack that fan up.

Back