Is it worth sending back my 8800 GTX and getting an Ultra for $30 more?

ultimus666

n00b
Only 4-5 hours after my 8800 GTX I ordered from NCIX shipped, all the 8800s went on sale. The 8800 Ultra is now only $30 more than what I paid for my GTX. I got in touch with NCIX and they told me if I ship it back unopened I can get a full refund and use that for purchasing an 8800 Ultra. Is it worth the hassle + shipping costs to switch them, or should I just be happy with my GTX?

Also, can an Enermax Noistaker 600W handle it? I don't plan on buying a new PSU at this time.

Yea sounds like a good plan since its just $30. You can get high oc's on the ultra :) *what I heard* im not sure if your psu can handle it though, I think so :p

Figure out what shipping costs you and your time (and downtime) is worth. THEN make the decision.

IMO, no. 1 or 2 FPS more? Bah, enjoy what ya got.

The ultra actually requires LESS power than than the GTX so if the GTX could handle it, then this will do so fine

I'd go for it if your GTX is still in its box. I wouldn't bother with the hassle if you had already installed the GTX.

There's no reason not to do it...

It would cost me $150 more to go from a gtx to an ultra (only 5 days of stepup left). Totally not worth it for me.

Dooo eeet :)
Otherwise you probably won't stop kicking yourself. It cost me $10 to ship my RMA'd x1950xt agp from NY to CA the other day so it really shouldn't be much more than that.

I'd go for it if your GTX is still in its box. I wouldn't bother with the hassle if you had already installed the GTX.

I would have to agree.

If you don't mind waiting though, $30 is worth it for the overclock potential. You won't have to volt mod your card to hit 680mhz core, and I've read some of the Ultra's can hit 1200mhz memory, both on air.

For your reference. At 1920x1200 in Oblivion, from the stock 612/1080 to 685/1185 I've recorded nearly a 5 FPS average increase (70.72FPS to 75.53FPS, for 60 seconds in third person, starting at "Old Bridge" south of the Imperial city, running east along the road, and passing a group of 3 bandits).
The difference in cities is slightly less.

For me the hardest part would be having to wait, especially when you could be using the GTX right now.

Back