Is it worth me reapplying thermal paste?

Andrew87

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 4, 2003
Messages
467
I've had my XP2500 A7N8X combo running since November. My CPU is multi locked and I'm only getting 11 x 194(5). Completely Prime95 stable etc. My idle temps are anything from around 35C to 47C; the most I've ever had was 54C after a ten hour Prime torture test. (My Aero 7 Lite was running at half RPMs though).

I've just been reading the arctic silver website on how to apply thermal paste and while I know I didn't apply mine properly, everything is running smoothly so I didn't bother with it.

My temps aren't too bad although it is Winter so I guess they should be lower. Here's what I did wrong:

1) I didn't put any thermal paste on the CPU core.
2) My Aero 7 Lite already had thermal paste on it but I didn't remove it properly. I used the card which came with my thermal paste to sort of remove it and then I reapplied the paste which I had bought.

Do you think it would be worth me taking off the HSF and cleaning it and the CPU and then apply the thermal paste again? (I should have enough of it left for another layer).

If you do recommend this what sort of products would I need to use to clean the HSF and CPU? No detail is too small! If I need a plastic bag around my finger or some sort of cloth please mention it. I've read about using isopropyl alcohol but I don't know what products contain this? What's a good, cheap cleaner which I could use? Would nail polish work?

Thanks for all help!
 
Any over the counter rubbing alcohol (thats what isoprophyl alcohol is) or acytone will take off the remains of the paste.

I don't see it as an absolute necessity to reapply, but if you do, you will most likely notice a drop in temps.

You said:
Would nail polish work?

I hope to god you mean nail polish remover.

And yes, that would work because its mostly acytone.



To apply the Artic Silver, you should use a plastic bag or something overy your finger and rub it into the bottom of your heatsink for at least 15-20 seconds. Then wipe off any remaining with paper towel or a lint free cloth or something, it doesn't really matter. Then apply a paper thin layer to your CPU die and then test fit the heatsink and then look at the bottom to see if its making full contact. If not, apply more to the cpu, but if it looks like good contact, slap that baby back on and you're good to go.


(huzzah for my run on sentence)
 
Originally posted by TheGamerZ
I hope to god you mean nail polish remover.

lol, yeh that's what I meant. Thanks for the detailed guide, I'm not using arctic silver though but instead the Coolermaster Premium Thermal Compound.
 
Back
Top