Is it worth it?

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
So right now I've got a Seasonic M12-II 620w PSU. it's been a great PSU, however I am going to be running dual GTX 980 Ti for a while and need some more oomph.

Is it worth it to get a platinum grade PSU? or is Gold enough? I run this computer for a good bit of the day, but mostly for gaming. Probably will need 850W to be on the safe side. I have had great experiences with Seasonic, and Good experiences with Corsair. Antec is the only other brand I've used (1st - 2nd gen Earthwatts) So what is a good PSU in that range?

I've been reading up on some PSU's, and here are a few I'm looking at:

EVGA G2 850W Gold
EVGA P2 850W Plat
Seasonic X-850 Gold

They are all around the same price (The platinum is actually cheaper right now).

System Specs:

E5-2699v4
4x8GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 5
MSI X99S Sli Plus
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC ACX+

Last edited:
So I ended up ordering the
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 80+ PLATINUM - $114.99 + $7 for taxes. (Johnny Guru gave this a 9.5 ( only down side was lack of monitoring software for the price compared to other brands of the same caliber. Which honestly, I don't care about software monitoring, and if I can get platinum efficiency for less than some GOLD models... why not )
vs
EVGA G2 @ $129
Seasonic X-850 @ $132

Superflower Leadex platform in that EVGA so you can't go wrong. It's among the best available.

Superflower Leadex platform in that EVGA so you can't go wrong. It's among the best available.

That's what I was reading. Everything I've read from multiple reviews said this thing was good, so I figured... why not. It has to be better than my Seasonic M12-II (Which is a great PSU Anyway)

Only 3 hours between your post and your order of the PSU.
You didn't really gave us much time to help you ! :LOL:
( Personally, from those 3 i would probably choose the good-old X-850, but of course P2-850 is an excellent PSU as well(y) )

Only 3 hours between your post and your order of the PSU.
You didn't really gave us much time to help you ! :LOL:
( Personally, from those 3 i would probably choose the good-old X-850, but of course P2-850 is an excellent PSU as well(y) )

I know. I saw the stock on the evga p2 dropping pretty quickly and figured i would jump on it. I think with any of those 3 I'd be happy.

Last edited:
Yep... Platinum, Silver, it doesn't really matter the 80+ rating, as power supplies are rated based on what they could output. The more important characteristics are voltage regulation, ripple suppression, etc. The P2 at that price is a steal.

Back