Is it worth it?

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
So right now I've got a Seasonic M12-II 620w PSU. it's been a great PSU, however I am going to be running dual GTX 980 Ti for a while and need some more oomph.

Is it worth it to get a platinum grade PSU? or is Gold enough? I run this computer for a good bit of the day, but mostly for gaming. Probably will need 850W to be on the safe side. I have had great experiences with Seasonic, and Good experiences with Corsair. Antec is the only other brand I've used (1st - 2nd gen Earthwatts) So what is a good PSU in that range?

I've been reading up on some PSU's, and here are a few I'm looking at:

EVGA G2 850W Gold
EVGA P2 850W Plat
Seasonic X-850 Gold

They are all around the same price (The platinum is actually cheaper right now).

System Specs:

E5-2699v4
4x8GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 5
MSI X99S Sli Plus
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC ACX+

Last edited:

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
So I ended up ordering the
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 80+ PLATINUM - $114.99 + $7 for taxes. (Johnny Guru gave this a 9.5 ( only down side was lack of monitoring software for the price compared to other brands of the same caliber. Which honestly, I don't care about software monitoring, and if I can get platinum efficiency for less than some GOLD models... why not )
vs
EVGA G2 @ $129
Seasonic X-850 @ $132

MacLeod

Supreme [H]ardness
Superflower Leadex platform in that EVGA so you can't go wrong. It's among the best available.

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
Superflower Leadex platform in that EVGA so you can't go wrong. It's among the best available.

That's what I was reading. Everything I've read from multiple reviews said this thing was good, so I figured... why not. It has to be better than my Seasonic M12-II (Which is a great PSU Anyway)

Sith'ari

Gawd
Only 3 hours between your post and your order of the PSU.
You didn't really gave us much time to help you ! :LOL:
( Personally, from those 3 i would probably choose the good-old X-850, but of course P2-850 is an excellent PSU as well(y) )

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
Only 3 hours between your post and your order of the PSU.
You didn't really gave us much time to help you ! :LOL:
( Personally, from those 3 i would probably choose the good-old X-850, but of course P2-850 is an excellent PSU as well(y) )

I know. I saw the stock on the evga p2 dropping pretty quickly and figured i would jump on it. I think with any of those 3 I'd be happy.

Last edited:

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
Yep... Platinum, Silver, it doesn't really matter the 80+ rating, as power supplies are rated based on what they could output. The more important characteristics are voltage regulation, ripple suppression, etc. The P2 at that price is a steal.