Is it worth it to buy a PS2 now?

x-naga

on vacation
With PS3 expected to come out, is it worth it to buy a PS2?

If I saw a used one for like 80 bucks I'd pick it up but, is it worth it to buy a new one?

There's nothing more I hate than buying a new console and then within a year game production stops for it. (Ie. dreamcast :mad: )

Even though there are many many good games, I'd still prefer a system that has many years to live with new games. I know the xbox is going to last a long time since it's MS's only console, and I'm a big GTA fan so I could just get San Andreas and Vice city for it.

Only games I love that you couldn't get on an xbox would be Tekken series, Metal gear solid and fifa (only good on ps2's controller)

btw, are price cuts going to happen in North America any time soon?

price cuts happened afew months ago on both the PS2 and Xbox. My sugestion is yes, get a ps2. There are good games on xbox, and good games on ps2. Within the next few months, you have awesome ps2 titles comming out (Gran Turismo 4, Metal Gear Solid 3, Ace Combat 5, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas), and into next year youve got other good stuff like (Tekken 5, Final Fantasy 12, etc). You have stuff like Fable and Halo 2 comming out for xbox, which are good, but these games for ps2 all look and sound increadible. Definatly get the ps2, if the one for $80 works (and reads both cd/dvd disks) then jump on it, otherwise drop the $150 for a new one.

Oh, btw, Fifa 2005 is coming out in october, but if you really like soccer games i would say go get winning 11 7 while ur at it (i think its the best).

PS- I work at a Software Etc, so i get this kinda question all the time. I would say that these consoles have a bit of life in them, MS said they might release the Xbox 2 in late 2005 and Sony said sometime in 2006 for the PS3. So you have possibly, 1 year before Xbox 2, if they stay on schedule, and about 1 and a half years for PS3, if they stay on schedule. Seems like enough time to have some fun to me.

The PS3 isn't coming out until 2006, and it may be very late 2006 so if you bought a PS2 today you would have years worth of old games to catch up on, and 2 to 3 more years worth of full scale new development to look forward too.

get the xbox since its quite moddable, graphics are better than what ive seen with a ps2, and halo > final fantasy

buy a ps2. grapics are awesome
and btw
get the game "the getaway"
bettee then vice city

Buy one of each. All three systems have some amazing games that are exclusive to them.

dawtips said:
get the xbox since its quite moddable, graphics are better than what ive seen with a ps2, and halo > final fantasy

Um, how can you even begin to compare a FPS to an RPG...?

im gonna get a ps2 soon.

and the only reason is for GT4.

and burnout 3.... but pretty much only for GT4.

I heard the XBox price dropped in Europe which means the PS2 will soon to compete, which usually means we'll see a price drop in the US shortly. I'd say right before Xmas.

if PS2 drops to 99$ for xmas that would be hot.

id get xbox and ps2 , halo 2 and gt4 .. and my gpa would plummet

Yes, the ps2 is expected to drop within the next month or two. 50 doller cut is what I heard. I currently own both systems.... And to put it in perpective, I own 28 games for PS2 and only 3 games for xbox. Buy the ps2. Its far better. Even if it is a little dated, the games are much funner and there is a much larger catalog of games to choose from.

xdviper said:
buy a ps2. grapics are awesome...
You are joking right? Nothing is anti-aliased, the draw-in is horrible, just to note a few reasons why the graphics aren't awesome. :rolleyes: The only reason to buy a ps2 is to get GTA SA before it comes out on PC.

The only reason im keeping my ps2 is for GT4 and MGS3...otherwise it hasnt been touched for about a year or two. :eek: Xbox is the sh!t to have though dude! I use it more than my PC! XBL owns :D

S1nF1xx said:
You are joking right? Nothing is anti-aliased, the draw-in is horrible, just to note a few reasons why the graphics aren't awesome. :rolleyes: The only reason to buy a ps2 is to get GTA SA before it comes out on PC.

I have my opinions about which is better, but I have not used the PS2 at all so I will not comment.

I chose the Xbox for what can be done with it after a few modifications. The PS2 after modification isn't really as good.

PS2 can do something like 25 million polygons a second right? But that's just flat unshaded triangles with no effects. I don't think devs still know how to effectively wring out the 7 parallel vector engines of the PS2 (or whatever it was that made the PS2 incredibly complicated to program amazing graphics for).

Eh, I'd just wait for a price drop. I'd buy a PS2 if you liked console RPGs.

Astronutty said:
I have my opinions about which is better, but I have not used the PS2 at all so I will not comment.

I chose the Xbox for what can be done with it after a few modifications. The PS2 after modification isn't really as good.
Just to clarify, I don't own either. I think they both suck comaired to the good 'ol PC. :D But the PS2's graphics are exceptionally horrible. I guess it won't matter much considered they get to play GTA SA 6moths before the PC user do. And then it's gonna be really shitty like GTA VC and have a view distance of 12 feet with horrible draw-in. :(

S1nF1xx said:
Just to clarify, I don't own either. I think they both suck comaired to the good 'ol PC. :D But the PS2's graphics are exceptionally horrible. I guess it won't matter much considered they get to play GTA SA 6moths before the PC user do. And then it's gonna be really shitty like GTA VC and have a view distance of 12 feet with horrible draw-in. :(

Xbox does not suck bro. I have a gaming PC also, but the whole online pc gaming community is trash. XBL totaly owns it IMO, lot cooler ppl that i know. I still like pc gaming though, but Halo 2+xbox live+34" Sony XBR+Surround= :eek: Half Life 2 wont even touch that :D

Compared to the PC (GeForce 6800, P4 3.6Ghz), the Xbox (GeForce 3, PIII 700Mhz) sux... that does not mean the Xbox is no good, only when compared to the PC.

I totally agree, as for the Xbox & PC, there is no comparison. The gaming computer is much more advanced. Someone comes to my house to rob me, they point a gun at me and say they are taking my Xbox, I'd say ok. But if they say they are taking my PC, we would have a fight on our hands,. I would not let them leave with it.

Astronutty said:
Compared to the PC (GeForce 6800, P4 3.6Ghz), the Xbox (GeForce 3, PIII 700Mhz) sux... that does not mean the Xbox is no good, only when compared to the PC.

I totally agree, as for the Xbox & PC, there is no comparison. The gaming computer is much more advanced. Someone comes to my house to rob me, they point a gun at me and say they are taking my Xbox, I'd say ok. But if they say they are taking my PC, we would have a fight on our hands,. I would not let them leave with it.

Dude, xbox came out in 2001! What do you expect?! The most they had back then was like 1.5ghz. Keep in mind xbox does not have to run nearly as many apps as a computer so it doesnt need to have a 4ghz cpu and 2gb ram ( even though xbox 2 will have three 3.5ghz IBM cpu's with 1mb cache each and an ATI R500 core ) Funny thing is, Halo 2 still looks just as good as the most anticipated PC games, but IMO, its all about gameplay. Graphics can only go so far ( doom 3, far cry ) I ask myself these questions: Have you ever had a boring time with a game with pretty graphics? Yes! Have you ever had a boring time with a game that had good gameplay? NO!! Halo 2 will own all :D

i just got a ps2 not too long ago. i love the games on it. its a lot different than computer or snes, what i usually game on, but its fun. i'd say go for it. even with ps3 comming out (sometime), its still worth it to get a good system with good games. plus, they are still making games for it. tekken 5 is comming out in another few months.

Eh, I dont care what anyone else says, I own all three consoles and play my GameCube more than either of the other 2. Yay Nintendo! :p

I own all 3 and the only one I use are the PS2 and Gamecube I found most of the good games for the xbox will eventually come out for pc so I just wait. At least my xbox is a good dust collector.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Dude, xbox came out in 2001! What do you expect?! The most they had back then was like 1.5ghz. Keep in mind xbox does not have to run nearly as many apps as a computer so it doesnt need to have a 4ghz cpu and 2gb ram ( even though xbox 2 will have three 3.5ghz IBM cpu's with 1mb cache each and an ATI R500 core ) Funny thing is, Halo 2 still looks just as good as the most anticipated PC games, but IMO, its all about gameplay. Graphics can only go so far ( doom 3, far cry ) I ask myself these questions: Have you ever had a boring time with a game with pretty graphics? Yes! Have you ever had a boring time with a game that had good gameplay? NO!! Halo 2 will own all :D

Xbox did indeed come out in 2001... that doesn't mean my point is invalid.

Halo 2 might be the best selling, most played, and a favorite, but the Xbox is still technically inferior to computers, even on the day the Xbox was released. Don't get me wrong, I like my Xbox: http://www.xbox-modder.com/Main.htm .

Torn said:
Eh, I dont care what anyone else says, I own all three consoles and play my GameCube more than either of the other 2. Yay Nintendo! :p

Heh, I play Gamecube the most too, especially since Tales of Symphonia came out. Though I already beat it, so now I need more!

Also, the console vs. PC thing I find a little lopsided, since even the cheapest video card most people would buy for a gaming card costs as much or more than a console, and the gaming comp as a whole can easily cost 10x or more than a regular console.

Roger that on the gamecube. My xbox and PS2 are looking a little dusy.

BillLeeLee said:
...Also, the console vs. PC thing I find a little lopsided, since even the cheapest video card most people would buy for a gaming card costs as much or more than a console, and the gaming comp as a whole can easily cost 10x or more than a regular console.
But you can do 100x more things with a computer. So it's easier to justify blowin that huge wad of cash. ;)

A computer being compared to a xbox...I'm astounded we even go here.

When you buy a computer -- and buy something that is that powerful -- IE: 6800GT/1gig of ram/3.4ghz P4 HT -- it is for gaming or for graphically intense purposes. The argument here is thrown out when you look at what those specific parts are purchased for....and how much they cost.

In the end -- we are talking Consoles. So I reckon we should keep it at that. Is a PC better -- YES -- but is it worth argueing over? Hell no -- especially when it's not even apart of the original topic.

Anyway, if money is your problem -- Decide what games you want to play and then make your decision. I'd suggest purchasing a new system either way. There are enough gaming websites around to go research what genres you like best. Get to reading up on released and upcoming games and have fun.

Personally I'd purchase both if I could, although I only purchased the Xbox back when it was $300. Online is spectacular. Perfect Example -- I hope PS2 gamers get the same treatment and I think they do, but for Xbox I am in a league for ESPN NFL 2k5 over Xbox Live. I have the Cowboys in a 32team league with people I know over the net. We are in week 3 right now. www.espnvideogames.com is set up so you can look over the league. Stats, trades, scores, news, forums, anything and everything this website has it for the league and most importantly -- IT IS MADE TO LOOK LIKE ESPN.com. I can't get enough of it.

Regardless of what console you get, you will be happy. Whatever you get -- happy gaming.

Its only worth it to purchase one if you think it is. personall I wouldnt touch a gameing console being you can emulate ps1, ps2, xbox, etc etc on a computer and run them even faster and clearer on a computer.

Shane said:
Its only worth it to purchase one if you think it is. personall I wouldnt touch a gameing console being you can emulate ps1, ps2, xbox, etc etc on a computer and run them even faster and clearer on a computer.

And which xbox game can you emulate on a PC?

Worth it?

Absolutely!

I still play PS1 games from time to time...so that unit has gotten way more than the price I payed for it.

Get an Xbox instead...

In terms of content, innovative development, and features, it destroys the PS2. The PS2 has an advantage with the *amount* of RPGs, but then again, they're the same old Japanese-style RPGs that we've been playing for 10+ years. IMO, the Xbox RPGs have far more potential...KOTOR was great, Fable looks amazing, and KOTOR2/Jade Empire are right around the corner.

Then you have online play...and despite the fee, XBL still owns PS2Online.

For me the graphics don't matter as much as the gameplay. So I'm not crazy over xbox, I don't see a point in having an amazing graphic machine that doesn't have anything good to play it on.

You can make the best looking ping pong game ever, but it's still ping pong (don't get me wrong, ping pong owns). I only care about graphics by the generation of the system. ie. N64 vs Gamecube, PS1 vs PS2, as for the little differences between XBOX and PS2, those don't really change my decision on what I'm going to purchase.

What I like about PS2 is that the games that are only available to them are newer versions of what I got addicted to. I loved Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament so one of the first games I would get would be Tekken 4. Same with Metal Gear Solid for PS1, so for sure I'm going to get that for PS2, and as I mentioned before all the GTA's.

Now if XBOX had all those games and other PS2's games, then the last thing for me to compare would be the graphics, but they don't and for me games are my main priority.

Now my second priority is product life. You can have an amazing product but without games being released for it, it will be eventually rendered useless. It's like having a Ferrari that runs on special fuel but once that fuel is depleted, its useless. So as you guys have mentioned PS3 will be out late 2006 where as XBOX2 2005, another factor that will greatly impact my decision.

And my third priority is price, I'm not rich and whoever said that I should buy once of each, I would slap you right now unless you offered to buy them for me :) I will wait for the price cuts and once that occurs I will decide if I should buy a console.

That's about it for my explanation on what my priorities are before I buy, but the list grows, I got more priorities that are higher than buying a video game console (car, lasek, tuition, oh boy)

That's about it for what I have to say :)

Back