• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is it worth getting a 6800?

Skyviper

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 30, 2004
Messages
270
I'm currently running a 9800 PRO and it can't seem to play any new games at 1600x1200 so I'm thinking if it's worth getting a 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra or should I save up for a PCI-E upgrade so I have more choices of video cards in the future? Would going from a 9800 PRO to a 6800 GT or Ultra worth the 300+ dollars?
 
Skyviper said:
I'm currently running a 9800 PRO and it can't seem to play any new games at 1600x1200 so I'm thinking if it's worth getting a 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra or should I save up for a PCI-E upgrade so I have more choices of video cards in the future? Would going from a 9800 PRO to a 6800 GT or Ultra worth the 300+ dollars?

It would about double your framerate on higher resolutions but only you can see if your framerate is to low or if its worth the cost to you, if it was me and I was tight on money I would wait a couple months for lower prices.
 
Skyviper said:
I'm currently running a 9800 PRO and it can't seem to play any new games at 1600x1200 so I'm thinking if it's worth getting a 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra or should I save up for a PCI-E upgrade so I have more choices of video cards in the future? Would going from a 9800 PRO to a 6800 GT or Ultra worth the 300+ dollars?

well i got a 6800NU because my 9800 pro bit the dust. It's a great card, but even with my awesome unlock and overclock, i probably still wouldnt have bought it if my 9800 pro worked fine. It's not a night and day difference like you might imagine. It's a decent step up, but dont expect to run everything on 1600x1200 with max settings.

Either way, im still happy with my card :)
 
sculelos said:
It would about double your framerate on higher resolutions but only you can see if your framerate is to low or if its worth the cost to you, if it was me and I was tight on money I would wait a couple months for lower prices.

If the video card can run games at 1600x1200 with no AA or AF at over 30 fps constantly then it would be fine by me. I know the 6800NU has some problems doing 1600x1200 on some games so I'm not too sure if I should get that or not.

On the other hand, I could just live with 1024x768 and upgrade next year...
 
Skyviper said:
If the video card can run games at 1600x1200 with no AA or AF at over 30 fps constantly then it would be fine by me. I know the 6800NU has some problems doing 1600x1200 on some games so I'm not too sure if I should get that or not.

On the other hand, I could just live with 1024x768 and upgrade next year...

I personally would MUCH rather play at say 1280x1024 with 2xAA and 8xAF than 16x12 with no AA or AF. I cant stand games without AF anymore. And I dont like some of the negative effects of such a high resolution.

My 6800nu, unlocked and OC'd, has no issues at all doing 1280x1024 with 2xAA or 4xAA and 8xAF in every game I play.

16x12 is just a lofty goal for a sub $200 video card. A 6800GT would handle 16x12 with a little AA and AF for the most part as long as you can stand FPS drops here and there. I personally cant stand any sort of drop at all.
 
Back
Top