Is it worth buying TuneUp Utilities 2009?

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
There's a sale going on right now on the software... and I heard at another forum that it's one of the best optimizers. Is it really worth buying it? What would it accomplish beyond what CCleaner and occasional defragmentation does?

Thanks!

I don't see anything with this program that you can't do with tools included with Windows or something you can download for free.

Comodo System Cleaner is absolutely free and does basically the same thing. Combine that with CCleaner and Revo for uninstalls and you have that program for no cost.

I use this program and I love it. has alot of nice features and great interface. There is a trial i believe should try it.

The concept of adding software on top of the OS to make the OS work better... it's just too ridiculous to believe more often than not. Technically you can do most anything with Windows already - save for hand-picking through the Registry to clear out the old stuff that no longer applies. CCleaner is the only app I use for that stuff anymore because it's small, fast, and deadly efficient to do such tasks with one clean sweep, so to speak.

Manual defragging isn't something that's necessary in Vista or Windows 7 anymore. If you still run XP then having a defragger (PerfectDisk ftw) is a good idea because it's much faster than the built-in manual tool and has other benefits as well. But Vista and Windows 7 do that stuff automagically; there's simply no need to concern yourself as the user anymore with such background maintenance tasks because both OSes handle such things for you.

RAM "cleaners," speed "boosters," that stuff is useless 99.999% of the time and a waste of not only a few megs of hard drive space, but system resources too... and most importantly and even more often a few bucks from your pocket.

Good luck...

Okay, thanks for the replies. Well I do use WinXP on both my comps still. I have not used a third-party defragger; I only use CCleaner for registry clean and Startup Control Panel for managing/disabling stupid stuff that wants to load at boot.

I guess I'll look into that PerfectDisk since you mention it for XP users. ... And the comodo system clenaer.

BTW CCleaner also has a startup program disable function. It truly is a great program and one I find a necessity on every computer from win2k and up.

Hmm PerfectDisk is a non-free program too... But TuneUp Utilities includes a defragger. Any free defragger alternatives that are as good?

Back