Is it worth a cheap upgrade GF2 MX 200 => 9200

Frallan

Gawd
Im currently stuck with an OLD machine PIII 733@770 w. 512 MB CAS2 PC133 and a 32 MB GF2 MX200

Now Ive found a couple of cheap graphics cards a MX4000 64MB and a 9200SE 128 MB and a 9250 128 MB.

I dont currently play anything online and I push the limits of the computer pretty hard with Home World and other RTS Games.

Now the question is will this upgrade help at all or am I to CPU starved to notice an enhancement.

Thanks for any advice

I would save your money until you can afford a cheap A64/754 motherboard combo, and new ram.........

I agree with Dark on that one. You can pick up a xp-2500 barton and an msi nforce2 ultra 400 for around 200, set the fsb to 200 and bam a barton 3200+.........

he meant save for a amd 64 2800/3000 and cheap 754 MB

amd 3000 plus msi nvidia 250 board- 225 dollers better use of money then the 80 he gonna spend on a gay 9200

I upgraded from a Pentium3 w750Mhz w/ 512MB PC133 memory to my current system, an Athlon64 3400+ socket754 w/ an MSI K8N Neo Platinum....the prices now are way cheaper than what I paid and the performance is quite stallar. I'd recommend working your way to that, or if you can, get socket939. But 754 is cheaper and runs VERY well.

To answer your question, yes you would see a big improvement with a upgrade. Especially with the 9250.

Not with a Pentium3....trust me, I loved my pentium 3. I still use it for a linux box actually, but as for gaming it's FUCKED. I gutted my box and put all the old stuff into the new case/mb/cpu and played games i played on my P3 and the difference was night and day. Trust me, if you plan on gaming, get a new setup. If you don't game, don't worry about the upgrade. Getting a 9xxx series card for that computer is a waste of money, trust me.

I doubt you'll see any performance increase. Your games are probably CPU limited. The only advantage you will gain is that you will might be able to play at slightly higher resolutions. However, the game won't run any faster because of the CPU.

Be careful if you are upgrading your motherboard, RAM, and CPU. Your old PSU might not be able to handle the new power requirements. You will probably have to buy a new PSU as well.

Kingrarr said:
I agree with Dark on that one. You can pick up a xp-2500 barton and an msi nforce2 ultra 400 for around 200, set the fsb to 200 and bam a barton 3200+.........

And.. he'll have to buy ram too..

unless that nforce2 ultra uses pc133 [nope]

SO.. try again.

Damn, I wish people would think before typing.

Ok the advice I seemed to get was what I sort of thought Id get...

Im allready about to do just that (save up to new machine) acctually My Vapo is waiting for me at home and for X-mas Ill get the new socket I need to put a A-64 939 in it and then in Jan/Feb the s939-lanparty is due.

Once that has happened I can use my allready existin (lent it to my Bro) AIW 9800 Pro.

I just hate waiting...

(And why dont i use my 9800 now? well its AGP 3.0 and the mainboard that I use isn't)

Me want to go home and have 10 MBit and a real computer again :(

[Edit] And for those of you who dont read titles - Thank you again :) [/Edit]

Obviously he would need new ram, its a completly different platform, I assume people have the capacity for assumption.........I was just trying to give they guy a reasonably cheap, powerful and reliable solution. Sorry if I did not layout every single component.....................

although i wouldnt do it since id save up for a new system.... yes.. if you went to a 9200 you will see a boost.

I just want to express some gratitude and respect I have towards [H]-Forum member Pigpen.

He just offered me his 9200 for postage only since he wont have any use of it any more.

Thank you Pigpen. :D

Frallan said:
I just want to express some gratitude and respect I have towards [H]-Forum member Pigpen.

He just offered me his 9200 for postage only since he wont have any use of it any more.

Well aren't you a lucky sob frallan :p anyway good luck with the new <used> card :)

DASHlT

Frallan said:

No problem man. Maybe someone here can help with the problem though. Frallan lives in Germany. Postage for a package over there from 15239 through Fedex will run upwards of $50 bucks. Since he could just buy a new vid card for that amount, does anybody know of a cheaper way to get something overseas?

Thanks

Well then he really lucked out because no one seemed to be paying attention to the SE part of it. On low end ATi cards SE usually denotes a 64 bit memory interface edition. Yeah you already had a bad card but under no circumstances, don't care how bad cpu is, is it worth saving a couple of bucks on already cheap lower end cards (ie. $50 vrs. $53).

edit: missed that last post... sorry.. damn.

you can ask him to ship it via ship.... that usually takes 6 weeks but its cheaper.

i know the us post office can ship this way.

Back