Is it unsafe to only have 200ish MB left?

jamezzz122

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I decided to check out how much HD space I ahd left and it said only 258 MB left. Is that too low? I don't have any any unusual amount of programs on my computer. The partition was 30GB. My D drive is 30GB filled out of 50. I have an 80GB. Should I go out and upgrade? I was thinking of getting a 120GB to go with my current 80GB.

It is time to consider an upgrade. Meanwhile, also consider getting rid of some junk because you are very tight on space. Temp files and certain service pack files eat space. An unneeded one that installs with SP2 is 500mb. Also, you probably have more duplicate files than you might imagine. Then, you can cut the size of System Restore. Revisit the size of the pagefile, too. You may be surprised at the amount of space you can recover.

That shouldn't be too bad at all considering I've been at around 20MB-100MB free space for over half a year now I think. :p This is on a 120GB WDJB...I REALLY need to buy another HDD, probably a 200 or 250GB one. And no, I don't have any wasted space at all! I think all my files take up 108GB and that leaves just 3GB for the system including all my programs and the page file.

hmmm...I like that wipe empty directories option
Im goin to give that a spin,
already have a few aps that will write multiple patterns to freespace though
unfortunately no longer freeware so a replacement recommendation is most welcome ;)

Back