- Joined
- Dec 2, 2004
- Messages
- 32,965
WikiPedia.org said:CMSS-3D
This feature is a must for both headphones and speakers within games. If CMSS-3D is disabled, most of the X-Fi's 3D audio technologies are as well (this is true for the entire Creative line). For a demonstration, enable CMSS-3DHeadphone or CMSS-3DVirtual and click 'test' and see for yourself. With a multi-speaker surround setup, CMSS-3DSurround will upmix stereo sources up to 7:1 channels. If your speaker or headphone system is high-end, the CMSS-3D effect may be displeasing but this again varies per user.
Is this true? If I disable it, the X-Fi stops doing all its fancy processing stuff? Something caused the CMSS-3D to become enabled (I use Sennheiser HD485 headphones) and switched to the 2.0/2.1 Speakers setting under the control panel. I noticed that my music and games were sounding more like in XP (I switched to Vista) now, and couldn't figure out what had changed until I looked in the control panel. If this is true, I guess that's why I kept thinking that the sound quality was pretty bad compared to how it was running in XP. The effect is a much cleaner, richer sound overall enabled right now. I'm just not sure I'm correct that it's SUPPOSED to be enabled. Anyone know?
Also, I read here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=998509&highlight=x-fi+headphone that I have to unsynch the headphone setting from the Windows setting, how is this done under Vista? There seems to be no option for it in the Creative panel or the Windows one.