Is it true that WD does not honor warranties on 2.5" internal drives?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm asking because I read some reviews (Amazon, Newegg, etc) where people were complaining that their drives failed within the warranty period but WD told them that these were OEM drives with no warranty. If that's true, then I can't use 2.5" WD drives any longer.

What do you guys think?

post what youre talking about. you can get oem drives and you get no warranty. retail boxed ones come with 1-3 (maybe more) years.

it depends on the drive.. some higher end OEM/component drives have warranites but most of the low end like WD blue, etc don't.. retail internal drives can be anywhere from 2-5 years while external can be 1-5 years.

basically the warranty on the product the drives installed in would be as long or longer than WD's warranty for the drive so it's the SI's responsibility to warranty it, not WD. so my guess is the people complaining either didn't buy the warranty package on their laptop and just expected WD to RMA it because they looked up a similar retail drive which does have a warranty.

It's not worth the time and effort to bother these days in a lot of cases.

Trusting a review on Amazon or Newegg is like trusting a random leaf in the woods when wiping your butt.

What drives do you buy. What is their warranty. And also why so worried. Make backups of critical data and move on with your life. Drive failures do happen but not at a rate to worry about imo. Though maybe I live dangerous with used enterprise drives being the mainstay of my data hoard.

Trusting a review on Amazon or Newegg is like trusting a random leaf in the woods when wiping your butt.

What drives do you buy. What is their warranty. And also why so worried. Make backups of critical data and move on with your life. Drive failures do happen but not at a rate to worry about imo. Though maybe I live dangerous with used enterprise drives being the mainstay of my data hoard.

for the most part they're not bad if you do keyword searches in the reviews.. typically i just look for a lot of "this product died after X months" and look for a trend in the reviews from early reviews and then from the newest reviews.. if it's just a couple people then i just ignore it. been plenty of things that got great reviews early on then a year or two later in the products life things went to crap because the company switched component manufactures.

Rather speculate, check the specific product page... or call WD with the UPC/model and ask.

This isn't a WD problem, it's shady sellers selling drives not meant for the retail channel.

Typically, if you avoid 3rd party sellers you should be fine. That said, Amazon has a problem with commingling inventory, so buying directly from Newegg is probably a safer choice. (Again, avoiding the 3rd party sellers on Newegg.)

This isn't a WD problem, it's shady sellers selling drives not meant for the retail channel.

Typically, if you avoid 3rd party sellers you should be fine. That said, Amazon has a problem with commingling inventory, so buying directly from Newegg is probably a safer choice. (Again, avoiding the 3rd party sellers on Newegg.)
Buying direct from WD is even better. Plus, they often have sales keeping them the cheapest option.

This isn't a WD problem, it's shady sellers selling drives not meant for the retail channel. Typically, if you avoid 3rd party sellers you should be fine
^^THIS^^

You just have to check the details on the model # BEFORE buying them, which will tell you if it is an OEM product or a retail one !
Buying direct from WD is even better. Plus, they often have sales keeping them the cheapest option.
and ^^THIS^^

Not long ago, I got several 2TB 850x's direct for less $$ than da Zon or chinEgg....

Back