• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is it true, don't spread MX-2?

Xathian

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
68
For some reason, my application of thermal paste never goes right, either too much or too little. Temps get way higher than they should. I always read to apply a rice grain sized glob then spread it evenly over the heat spreader surface. I asked around for tips and everyone quoted Arctic Cooling saying "DONT spread the paste". To just put the grain sized glob then let the heatsink weight/backplate tightening spread it alone.

Is this true?
 
For single or dual core CPU's, I put a single small blob (half a pea or whatever). For MCM quads, I put a thin line across the chip so that it crosses both chips. Then Just let the heatsink spread it out.

For uncovered CPU's, I spread the paste out real thin (almost transparent) on the core before putting the heatsink on..
 
I just stick a blob in the middle and let the heatsink spread it out. Works perfectly every time (except with HDT coolers; there's a slightly different method for those).
 
I just stick a blob in the middle and let the heatsink spread it out. Works perfectly every time (except with HDT coolers; there's a slightly different method for those).

hmm, do tell. :D I never thought about there being a different method for those. I just did the line thing on my 9550 and clamped it down.
 

So if I just do the grain of rice, with the length of it being the same as direction as the rectangular chip, then put down the heatsink, Ill be good? How tightshould a heatsink be fastened down? My old PC's tuniq tower is pretty tight, but I'm scared of going TOO tight.

Also, that second pic is just awesome looking.
 
Back
Top