Is it too cold/hot for me to put a Linksys WAP11 Access Point in the attic?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to put the WAP11 (802.11b) Access Point in the attic, so that it spreads more or less over my entire house (I'll put it in the center and my house is pretty small). Will it get too cold in the winter and/or too hot in the summer?

I live in northern NJ and in winter time... the attic can probably get very cold. In summertime... it's hot as f*ck up there... what do you guys think?

I'd then run Cat5 down to the basement where the switch/patch panel/router are in a nice 19" rack :D

The manual should have operating temperatures in it.
Right now my access point is in the upstairs living room which is completely empty and not used. It can get pretty damn cold in there since heating ducts are all closed off. I would say it gets as cold as outside in there and I live in the suburbs north of Philadelphia.

-Robert

Originally posted by roberttran
The manual should have operating temperatures in it.
-Robert

Blah... didn't think of that. You're right! Thanks.

I'm sure your manual will say room temp. But i would have to figure, being that there is not moving parts, temp shouldn't matter. ..... that is as long as you aren't melting the plastic.

prolly around 115F, or slightly under. If its not to hot of a device (i dont know, ive never owned an AP) then it might be as high as 135, but i wouldnt expect it to be over that.

I would think that you would be better off putting it in a closet in the middle of the house. that way you could hit the basement with no problems.

Originally posted by mobiux
I would think that you would be better off putting it in a closet in the middle of the house. that way you could hit the basement with no problems.

I'd like it to go outside, though... hopefully, one of the neighbors can get the signal, too. For educational purposes only, of course :rolleyes:

I don't think I would risk putting mine in my attic. I wouldn't be worried so much by the cold, but the heat is probably too much. My linksys doesn't exactly run real cool. It's not hot to the touch or anything, but, it's warm.

I think if nothing else you'd be shortening it's life. Although, access points are fairly cheap now so, if it craps out it wouldn't cost too much to replace it.

I would just fine a closet etc to put it in.

Back