Is it time to upgrade to Windows 7 for me?

Scheibler1

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently running the rig in my sig with Windows Vista 32bit. Not sure if there is a big difference gaming in noticeable image quality gained using 64bit enabling the newer DX 10-11.

Kinda worried 4gb isn't going to be enough RAM and that my GPU/CPU may not be either. I usually tend to play games a year or 2 old b/c I never have the latest greatest hardware when they release.

I play @ 1920x1080

Games I play or plan on playing are:
AvP, Call Of Juarez 1&2, BF BC2, World In Conflict, Batman Arkham Asylum, Company Of Heroes, NFS Shift, Order Of War, Crysis 1&2, CS:S, L4D, Dead Space 1&2, Dirt 2&3, World Of Tanks, Operation Flashpoint

I would at the very least upgrade to Vista x64 to get the last few hundred MB out of your memory, if your system came with the media. You still have access to DX11. If you do not have x64 media and plan to buy, then there would be no reason to not buy 7.

As for performance, on you're system you're not going to notice any FPS boost going to Windows 7 that you wouldn't notice by just doing a fresh install of Vista, as long as you have SP2 installed that is.

7 will run just fine on your system, and is actually a lot lighter in many was then Vista is. My girlfriend's rig is very similar to yours (she has 8GB of RAM and a GTX 260 instead) and it runs 7 / all valve games and most DX10 stuff @ 1920x1200 without any issues.

If I were you I would drop the $80 on the upgrade to 8GB of RAM for your rig and drop in a new copy of 7 x64.

hmm. How would 4gb do in 64bit? Really don't want to buy any more ram unless it is DDR3 which would mean new CPU/Mobo

Currently running the rig in my sig with Windows Vista 32bit. Not sure if there is a big difference gaming in noticeable image quality gained using 64bit enabling the newer DX 10-11.

Kinda worried 4gb isn't going to be enough RAM and that my GPU/CPU may not be either. I usually tend to play games a year or 2 old b/c I never have the latest greatest hardware when they release.

I play @ 1920x1080

Games I play or plan on playing are:
AvP, Call Of Juarez 1&2, BF BC2, World In Conflict, Batman Arkham Asylum, Company Of Heroes, NFS Shift, Order Of War, Crysis 1&2, CS:S, L4D, Dead Space 1&2, Dirt 2&3, World Of Tanks, Operation Flashpoint

Windows 7 will run better. No reason not to upgrade. I have it on 4 computers here now. Been running it since it was in beta.

No doubt go 7. It way snappier than Vista. I had Vista on a laptop and reverted back to XP because it was so slow. 7 is snappy and makes me happy so I am on it now.

No doubt go 7. It way snappier than Vista. I had Vista on a laptop and reverted back to XP because it was so slow. 7 is snappy and makes me happy so I am on it now.
That's a very subjective suggestion. Vista was bundled on a lot of hardware that simply couldn't run it (ie. 512MB ram).

If you built a new moderns system and installed both Vista and 7, you would not notice a difference performance wise.

I wouldn't waste my money or time upgrading to Win7 from Vista. First, performance is very similar, contrary to what you might have heard. 32-bit Vista will run your old games, but your old games might refuse to even install on 64-bit Win7. 64-bit Windows does require more memory, negating the few extra MB it might see on your 4GB system. Besides, you can use the extra memory for something like a RAMdisk to speed up your computer.

Back