Is it time to upgrade.....or wait?

noacess

Limp Gawd
Currently I'm trying to decide whether or not I should upgrade my CPU and motherboard. Here are my current system specs:

Intel P4 2.8C
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
2GB of Geil PC3200
BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra
WD 74Gb Raptor
2 x WD 200Gb 7200 HD
Audigy 2 ZS

As you can can see most of the hardware is pretty up to date besides my 2 year old processor and motherboard. If I upgrade it'll be to an AMD 64 platform. I'd really like to get a new motherboard with an X2 chip but I dont know if shelling out 550 - 600 plus another 130 or so on a motherboard is worth the performance upgrade from my current setup. Please post any thoughs on the matter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

noacess said:
Currently I'm trying to decide whether or not I should upgrade my CPU and motherboard. Here are my current system specs:

Intel P4 2.8C
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
2GB of Geil PC3200
BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra
WD 74Gb Raptor
2 x WD 200Gb 7200 HD
Audigy 2 ZS

As you can can see most of the hardware is pretty up to date besides my 2 year old processor and motherboard. If I upgrade it'll be to an AMD 64 platform. I'd really like to get a new motherboard with an X2 chip but I dont know if shelling out 550 - 600 plus another 130 or so on a motherboard is worth the performance upgrade from my current setup. Please post any thoughs on the matter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

i vote wait

You have a good Northwood system. My 2.8C did 3.4 on Good Air...

Its a good computer for at least 1 year. Then it will be time to upgrade.

Back