Is it time to upgrade my Pent. IV 2.53 GHz yet???

Hey there...I was just wondering if it was time to upgrade my Pent. IV 2.53 yet...I have never upgraded CPU's before so I don't really know how much time I should allow until it's time to start thinking about upgrading my CPU...seems to me that the 3 GHz ones are all expensive still and anything less than that isn't worth the upgrade...am I right about that?? THANX
C'YA ?:-D

ignore this, accidently replied instead of starting new thread.

I've tried two 2.53's.... one OC'd to 3.05Ghz and the other got to 2.95Ghz. Both came in Dell's (bought in June'03) that I pulled out to see how they would OC. (both at 1.625v)

But back to the point, its probably not worth buying a new chip especially when you still need to OC the current one you have.

Overclocking aside, there are two reasons to upgrade anything in your computer. The first is that someone has come out with a shiny new toy and you want one. The second is that what you have now ain't getting the job done.

If you want a new proc, get one, but I doubt seriously if you need an upgrade. While you can see a big difference between your 2.53 and a 3.2 in benchmark tests, you'll have to pay close attention to see a difference in the vast majority of applications and games. And when you can see a difference it's not going to be big.

Since your system is set up for RDRAM you'd be looking at a major overhaul (motherboard and memory) to upgrade to a Northwood C proc. That's a lot of green for the performance you'll get.

With your 9700 Pro, I wouldn't change a thing in your system until Tejas comes out next summer. That will be a performance boost you'll see, and it will have a bunch of new supporting technologies you won't be able to get today like DDR2 and PCI Express 16 graphics cards.

If you build a system right the first time you don't have to upgrade it every six months. You got yours right the first time.

BHD

or spend $230 on a 3.06 to get HT, but still no 800FSB.

Once again.. ya need ta OC that sumabitch ta 3++ Giggeehurtz!

Doesn't look like the processor is your bottleneck.... I would add more RAM or get a faster video card before upgrading the processor.

Originally posted by NowhereMan
Doesn't look like the processor is your bottleneck.... I would add more RAM or get a faster video card before upgrading the processor.

Nothing wrong with his video card. If anything he should give up the RDRAM and go DDR.

Originally posted by Metallica_Band
Hey there...I was just wondering if it was time to upgrade my Pent. IV 2.53 yet...I have never upgraded CPU's before so I don't really know how much time I should allow until it's time to start thinking about upgrading my CPU...seems to me that the 3 GHz ones are all expensive still and anything less than that isn't worth the upgrade...am I right about that?? THANX
C'YA ?:-D

Don't upgrade and wait for Pentium 5 to get released and wait till it matures :) Your system will play anything as I can see. No need to upgrade.

Originally posted by merlin704
Nothing wrong with his video card. If anything he should give up the RDRAM and go DDR.

Rdram isnt that bad.... the 1066 stuff on 533FSB was ok.

Its as good at DDR333/400 single channel in most cases.

I dunno...didn't know that there were different versions of it..it's been awhile but it MIGHT be B...but I really have no idea...how do I find out???

There is no 2.53C. The 'C' series only comes in: 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4

Just go into your BIOS and see what you FSB is:

400 = A
533 = B
800 = C

I looked at WCPUID...fsb=system bus right?? front system bus...anyways it says I have the B version so I was right...that good or bad??? I think my mobo only supports 533 anyways...400/533...so I bought the right cpu to go with my mobo...I bought right the first time...YAY!!!

Push the bus to 150, that will be 2.85Ghz. I run this in my 2nd computer.

I run mine at stock voltage. I could get it to 2.95 but had to add some extra voltage, that of which I'm not a big fan of. 2.85Ghz is still 300Mhz more and should suit you quite well unless you're planning on upgrading your board and proc.

My 2.53 @ 3..0 runs just fine. I have my voltage at 1.47 and havent' had any problems with it on my IC7. Have wanted to get a 800 FSB chip but always spend my money on other things...haha

Was kind of hoping the Prescott would be the next magic chip, but from what I have seen, perhaps my next up-grade will be either an 3.0 or a 3.2 when the price looks better.

Back