• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is it time for a new PSU?

Marduk

Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
882
I can't believe I'm saying this...but that custom PC Power & Cooling I had...

as much heat as it's spitting out, I'm wondering if it can really handle the load i've given it.

When I had it designed, I designed it with SMP as a future possibility that came up sooner than expected.



But, now the system's running dual Opterons and a single 7800GTX; it was specced for a dual core (which doesn't draw much more power than a single core, if I'm to believe AMD's marketing) and dual 6800GTs.

I'm apprehensive about dropping another 7800GTX in there in the future...



But then again, I'm not sure how much of that hot air is just due to it being summer time.

Ambient in the case (According to what the motherboard monitor says) is 41C, with CPU0 at 47c and CPU1 at 42C.

So, a lot of that hot air might just be what's being built up inside the case...is there any way to test to see if the PSU's being overly stressed?
 
Heh, the only thing I can think at the moment, is run prime95 for a while and see if the computer starts giving you trouble. If it doesn't I'd say you'd be fine.
 
It's been running Prime95 for the past few hours without problem.

I just hate to see the PSU running that hot...makes me nervous
 
That's the two strikes against PCP&C. They're loud and they're hot. But I doubt you''re running into any issues. I mean; lots of people use them w/o issue and they ALL run hot. ;)
 
Strike or not, I wouldn't trust this system to anythign less than PC Power & Cooling :)


I'll keep running it; I'd just love to borrow a 2nd GTX and ensure she'll work fine.


(and I'd almost convinced myself to call them up and see about an 850-CL1...)
 
Back
Top