Is it the motherboard?

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
So my dad turned off his computer sometime around the evening yesterday. We went to turn it on this morning and it won't. No post, no fans, nothing. The power supply light is solid green (it's a 6-year-old HP) but when I press the power button, nothing happens. I reseated the RAM and GPU. Is it the motherboard? If so, I'll just get him a new computer. He's long overdue anyways.

If getting him a new computer isn't a problem, that would probably be the best way to go. I would think it could just as easily be a dead PSU, so you can try that if you want. If you would be building his new computer from scratch then you can buy the PSU first and try it in the old computer.

If getting him a new computer isn't a problem, that would probably be the best way to go. I would think it could just as easily be a dead PSU, so you can try that if you want. If you would be building his new computer from scratch then you can buy the PSU first and try it in the old computer.

+1 to this.

could be both, the PSU and the mobo! :p but i agree, time for a new computer.

Yeah, with those symptoms (and not being able to see it in person), I would put my money on PSU. Though, like the others said, you have to decide if dumping money into a 6 year old HP is really worth it (if you can afford a new computer, it's generally not).

well, thanks for the help. My cousin brought over his PSU tester and the PSU was fluctuating a lot in the 3.3v bridge and often went over the specifications. I got a new PSU installed in there that I bought for $40 and all is well. He'll be getting a new PC sooner or later though.

Back