Is it smart to connect my Win2k Server directly to my DSL connection?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Or... should I have the router there and then connect the Win2k Server box? If with the router, then should I turn off DHCP?

I want the Win2k Server to act as a web server, DNS server (possibly, not a must), FTP server, file server, print server, etc.

When I try to set up Active Directory, it wants to assign an IP of 10.0.0.1 (off the top of my head), but it sees that I already have 192.168.1.1...

Thanks!

With the number of other jobs you have your Windows machine doing, let the router do the firewall work. Just my two cents.

Malk-a-mite said:
With the number of other jobs you have your Windows machine doing, let the router do the firewall work. Just my two cents.

So put the router in, but disable DHCP?

And then if my Win2k Server will be my DHCP server... then I need 2 NIC's in there, right? Or, can I just plug in the other machines directly into the back of the Linksys 4-port router?

RavinDJ said:
So put the router in, but disable DHCP?

That's how I would run it.

And then if my Win2k Server will be my DHCP server... then I need 2 NIC's in there, right? Or, can I just plug in the other machines directly into the back of the Linksys 4-port router?

You can just plug everything into the Linksys.

Malk-a-mite said:
That's how I would run it. You can just plug everything into the Linksys.

But when I try to create an Active Directory, the Win2k Server says it needs an IP of 10.0.0.1, but my Linksys router is 192.168.1.1

Hmmmm... this is a lot harder than I thought... any input, guys?

I have a Win2k DC setup in my house behind the router/firewall. I have DHCP disabled and DNS is running. My server has Active Directory running, but I don't remember it forcing me to choose 10.0.0.1 as the IP address. Did you assign a static IP to the NIC on the server? and a preferred DNS server (your server IP)?

I run my DC as a AD, DNS, file server, print server, internal web server, and a VPN server.

Nem said:
I have a Win2k DC setup in my house behind the router/firewall. I have DHCP disabled and DNS is running. My server has Active Directory running, but I don't remember it forcing me to choose 10.0.0.1 as the IP address. Did you assign a static IP to the NIC on the server? and a preferred DNS server (your server IP)?

I run my DC as a AD, DNS, file server, print server, internal web server, and a VPN server.

Hey, Nem! Can you give me some hints... tips... when you started out? Should I have the DNS in a TEXT file or should it be part of A.D.?

It says:

Because one or more other servers exist, you cannot configure this server as the only server on the network.

That's when I try to choose "This is the only server in my network.". I guess that's because the DHCP is enabled and it feels a 192.168.1.xxx IP address, right?

What should I do?

Back