• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

is it safe?

Filter

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 30, 2001
Messages
9,531
is there any new intel chips or ddr coming out in the next year

i dont want to buy ddr 3 memory. and a i7 now and next year something new come out.

im only worried about the next 12 months.
 
i guess there is another socket coming out in q3 of next year. i might just hold off till then to upgrade.
 
Does everyone think because a new socket appears the one before is obsolete? The current Intel line-up is nothing short of stupendous already. (From the i3 on up!)
 
LGA 1155 for Sandy Bridge may in fact debut at the end of this year. LGA 2011 I would say is very likely as well in the next 12 months. They will still use DDR3, although lga 2011 I believe goes to quad channel vs. tri channel for lga 1366.
 
My two cents is this. . .

If what you are upgrading to fits your needs, then upgrade and don't worry. Myself, my notebook has a core 2 duo T5800 w/ ddr2 4GB Ram and does exactly what I need it to. I'm not a big gamer, and run pretty modest photo editing for my business. Thus, ditching my laptop and upgrading to a core i7 w/ ddr3 wouldn't add anything, so I will likely use this until I can't resuscitate it. I think some users upgrade just to have the latest thing. I am not casting judgment on the OP, because I know nothing about your situation and what you actually need personally.

Again, just my two cents. ..
 
Does everyone think because a new socket appears the one before is obsolete? The current Intel line-up is nothing short of stupendous already. (From the i3 on up!)

Precisely. The ball will keep rolling along whether we like it or not. I just upgraded my desktop to an i7 1366 but I still have a Pentium M 2ghz in my laptop because that is all I need on my laptop. The needs are not mentioned here so it is hard to say anything.
 
Yes there will be a new socket beyond 1156. I read where it will be released sometime 4th quarter of 2010 or 1st quarter of 2011.

Just a side note you can never keep up as what today is cutting edge, in 3 months will be long in the tooth you just have to jump in just try to make sure you leave yourself an upgrade path.

That is what I like about AMD they do right by their customers with backwards compatibility AM2 AM3 and such.
 
So we got the 6 core CPU just been released last month.

Whats Intel for next year and what motherboard?

My current RIG is way overkill for not playing games and only running VMware.

I want to save the $ for an upgrade.
 
Like I said earlier, Sandy Bridge is likely to be available in retail channels along with the lga 1155 socket in Q4 of 2010 (yes this year, not next year). While high end Sandy Bridge and lga 2011 in Q3 2011.

Regardless of type, neither Sandy Bridge will work with current motherboards since the sockets have changed.
 
I just upgraded to the i7 platform and for gaming, photo editing, misc other crap I do it should last just as long as my 9950 setup did (if not longer) which was about two years before I wanted to upgrade.
 
Having both an OCed q9300 with 8gigs of ram, and OCed I7 920 with 12 gigs, both running a single launch 5870 each. I can say they really perform so close to each other in most tasks that it was almost a useless upgrade for me. I can play at the same settings in every game I have tried on either system. Video encoding IS faster on the I7, not that I do enough of it to matter anymore. None of my other day to day pc tasks perform noticeably different from one system to the other.

OP, I am not saying the I7 is trash or anything of the like, but if all you do is game and don't do a lot of video editing or the like, you may be better off spending your money on a better vid card, more ram, and saving the rest for when the next big thing comes along. An I7 920/930 is not really much of an upgrade over what you already have in my opinion. Especially if that q9300 is OCed to 3.2Ghz or better like mine has been since I got the thing.
 
Last edited:
Having both an OCed q9300 with 8gigs of ram, and OCed I7 920 with 12 gigs, both running a single launch 5870 each. I can say they really perform so close to each other in most tasks that it was almost a useless upgrade for me. I can play at the same settings in every game I have tried on either system. Video encoding IS faster on the I7, not that I do enough of it to matter anymore. None of my other day to day pc tasks perform noticeably different from one system to the other.

OP, I am not saying the I7 is trash or anything of the like, but if all you do is game and don't do a lot of video editing or the like, you may be better off spending your money on a better vid card, more ram, and saving the rest for when the next big thing comes along. An I7 920/930 is not really much of an upgrade over what you already have in my opinion. Especially if that q9300 is OCed to 3.2Ghz or better like mine has been since I got the thing.

Agreed.

This was my final assessment as well too, coming from a Q6600 overclocked to 3.6GHz and 8GB of RAM. Like you, GOR, I used to do a lot of video encoding as well too and the i7 seemed to make a pretty big difference, but nowadays it doesn't really matter anymore since I don't even touch that. In terms of gaming, GOR's experiences are in line with mine as well - almost no difference.

What I will say though, is I do like the flexibility of choosing to do SLI or Crossfire without having to change out my motherboard. Luckily for me, after selling off my old parts in December, my net cost was about $175 total.

So what it really comes down to is cost, and whether if you're ready and willing to live it or not. If everything is working ok and you don't have a lot of money then it won't be worth it. However, if you're not hurting for money and have the spare change to do it, by all means go for it.
 
Back
Top