Is it safe to delete the local admin profile?

Grimmda

2[H]4U
Here's some background on why I'm asking this question:

I'm renaming the administrator account and changing it's password on over 4000 pc's via a "package" I'm making and will "push" out to all the PC's. That's not a problem, I got that right here and it works.

I'm torn though because when I do that their profiles under c:\documents and settings will still be listed under the old ID name.

So I played with renaming the folder but the next time the the local admin logs into the account it creates a userID.Computername folder instead of using the clean foldername I want it to.

One way around it as mentioned here (if you want the scoop on how I'm doing this) is to just delete the local admin profiles after I rename the account and it's password.

Finally my question:
What do you think about doing that in an enterprise environment?

As far as data loss goes I'm nervous just typing this thread because it might end up causing a HUGE problem onlike 5 out of 4000 pc's... I hate deleting anything...

I might just suck it up and go the sloppy route... Any of you IT folks have an idea?

Hi,

I'm assuming you are not using Active Directory? The only reason i'm mentioning this is that i'm sure there are settings in Group Policy to rename the Local Admin accounts on any machine in the domain

Really? Wow if you find that let me know... we are using AD and they're all in the same Domain...

Looks good to rename the account, but it doesn't mention anything about changing passwords. I have 3 possible different local admin ID's with their own unique passwords out there...

Back