Is it running right? FAH/EM problems

Monkey34

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Apr 11, 2003
Messages
5,141
I got the console version, unzipped it to a c:fah console folder. Got EMIII, unzipped it to a c:EMIII folder. Started the console, set it as service. Started EMIII.
In my task manager I have 2 FAH processes. FahCore_78.exe and FAH502-Console.exe. Is this right? The FahCore_78 is using the CPU, the other isnt. :confused:
I also cant get EM to show status. It shows the protein, the boxen, start time, and status is "ok", but the frame/frames status, time per frame, time remaining, finish, and all the points are zeros. :mad:
I'm thinking im still folding, but just cant see it. Any ideas?
 
If the core is what's using up all of the CPU time, then folding is running properly. The console it just the management executeable that downloads WU's, and starts the cores so it will always be present.

Is this the same box as your prior problem? If so, I think EMIII might make some registry entries that could be interfering with things.

 
Yea, same box. Should FAH continue correctly without EM working right?
 
FAH will work fine no matter about EMIII.
It takes a few frames before EMIII can calulate the time needed.

Sounds like everything is going smooth, a few frames can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes depending on your hardware and the partiular protien you're folding.

 
EM has been uninterrupted for 70min, and still no info. Somethings wrong.
Its really pissing me off.
 
How long ago did you download EM3? LPerry released a new version on the 22nd that addressed some issues with a new FAHcore file.

If you don't have the most recent version, try updating to the new one he's provided and see if that can clear things up. If it doesn't, you might try PM'ing LPerry here on the forums and see if he can offer up any additional suggestions, or you can reach him and the program update through www.em-dc.com

 
p[H]ant0m said:
How long ago did you download EM3? LPerry released a new version on the 22nd that addressed some issues with a new FAHcore file.

If you don't have the most recent version, try updating to the new one he's provided and see if that can clear things up. If it doesn't, you might try PM'ing LPerry here on the forums and see if he can offer up any additional suggestions, or you can reach him and the program update through www.em-dc.com

just out of curiosity, do you know what bugs it fixed? i've been far too lazy to update my EMIII...i wish there was an auto-updater built-in :p
 
Carnival Forces said:
just out of curiosity, do you know what bugs it fixed? i've been far too lazy to update my EMIII...i wish there was an auto-updater built-in :p

The biggest improvement was that it added support for the new double gromacs core, FAHcore_7a.exe. The reason I suggest the update, is that if you don't have it, EMIII will behave as Monkey34 has indicated. It will read okay, and the protein name with appear, but time's will not update.

Edit: It will only behave as noted if FAHcore_7a is whats running.


 
I just noticed theres a message in the EM(for launching FAH) that says "the name of the console file must be either FAH500-Console.exe of FAH4Console.exe or EM will not launch, restore, or close the client properly."
Mine is FAH502-Console.exe
You think this could be doing it?
 
You can check the status of your client manually.
There is a UnitInfo.txt file and a fahlog.txt file in the fah directory.

These will tell you if FAH is running.
After your assured of their status, then you can work on getting EMIII working.
 
Nope, the name of the consoles is irrelevant as EMIII works with the 5.02 console, the 5.04 beta console, and the graphical client.

There's been alot more discussion of a similar issue to your here, and although it deals mostly with networked boxes, there might be something in there that applies to your situation.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that could possibly fix it, and would suggest you try and get in touch with LPerry.

 
Usually there are three possible reasons that EM isn't tracking a "Local" client...
1) The GUI version was installed at one time and the console client is doing work in a different folder. If you start the console using the -local flag this problem goes away. I have discussed this with Vijay at Stanford and the version 6 client should solve this problem.

2) There have been times when the client simply isn't updating files with information after the completion of each frame. Usually the next download fixes the problem. Fixing it immediately would involve deleting the work folder and restarting the client.

3) There is a lot of "junk" in the work folder. Extra files with numbers that don't match the current work unit. Many files in the work folder have numbers in their names. 01, 05, etc. Most of them should be one number, any extra files with a number not in the majority should be deleted.
 
Thanks for replying Larry, I guess you can ignore the e-mail I sent to you.
1. Yep, thats me. GUI version first, console second. :rolleyes: I guess you learn the hard way. I ended up using this:PK's service config tool to fix it - making it run -local .
2. Thought of that and tried it.
3. Not me.
Well #1 did the fix, but only if you use EM without shutting it down. If I shut it down, and then start it running again, it goes back to showing zeros. A re-start of the box gets it going again.
 
Actually, when I restarted the box this time, it was zeros again. :confused: I had to run the registry (-local) fix all over again. Grrr.
 
Here are the registry locations for FAH:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PandeGroup <- only in graphical as best I can tell.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PandeGroup <- part of both console and graphical.
HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\FAH@C:=... <-service definition

I would suggest stopping F@H and navigating to those keys, and removing them. If you have setup the service you will also need to remove the third. Once these keys are removed, reboot, and then you'll be able to reset the console from a freshly installed state. This way you will no longer have the registry entries being a problem.


 
Back
Top