Is it really true that the IC7-G reads temps 10C higher?

DMystikaLD

Gawd
I was wondering, because my load temperatures are around 60C with a Zalman 7000cu, though I am in a college dorm room where the temperatures are warm (we have around 9 machines in our room) and it easily collects dust... still trying to seek a way around that... but at home I know load temps were around 50C.

So am I really running 60C or am I running 50C or somewhere in between?

I just put together a new p4 3.0/IC7 combo as my first build and have been wondering the same thing. Using the stock cooler I was getting temps around 65 C under load. I went out and bought the Zalman 7000 AlCu cooler and it's dropped to 60 now. Reading here: http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=12325 and here: http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=11496 makes me think that they do report high. I mean the bios defaults to 85 C as the shutdown high temp. I don't think it's even possible to get a p4c that hot because it throttles itself back starting around 72-75 C. That would be in-line with reporting 10 C or so higher. I've read a couple posts in forums that seem to say abit reports 8-15 C higher. Nothing official though...

Originally posted by mwalt2
I just put together a new p4 3.0/IC7 combo as my first build and have been wondering the same thing. Using the stock cooler I was getting temps around 65 C under load. I went out and bought the Zalman 7000 AlCu cooler and it's dropped to 60 now. Reading here: http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=12325 and here: http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=11496 makes me think that they do report high. I mean the bios defaults to 85 C as the shutdown high temp. I don't think it's even possible to get a p4c that hot because it throttles itself back starting around 72-75 C. That would be in-line with reporting 10 C or so higher. I've read a couple posts in forums that seem to say abit reports 8-15 C higher. Nothing official though...

I have the abit ic7-g max 2. i just installed this with a 2.8C 800mhz p4 and am running 47C idle and 55C under load. I have posted a thread thinking that these temps were too high for a p4... Maybe motherboard monitor is reporting what my abit board is saying and if you guys are saying it reports high, then maybe i dont have a problem?

Originally posted by HotL3@D
I have the abit ic7-g max 2. i just installed this with a 2.8C 800mhz p4 and am running 47C idle and 55C under load. I have posted a thread thinking that these temps were too high for a p4... Maybe motherboard monitor is reporting what my abit board is saying and if you guys are saying it reports high, then maybe i dont have a problem?

well dont you have a pc health feature in bios ... leave the comp on for one hour and go in there and see ... that should display your idle temp nicely ...

also motherboard monitor is evil

im glad you posted this, i was still getting high temps with my new HSF and this may be the cause

in one of those threasd posted people are mainly talking about the IC7

but the very high tems apply to the IS7 series as well correct?

From what I understand, ABIT mobos dont actually report the "real" temp, they report an "estimated" core temperature.

They use the sensor and a mathmatical algorythm to guess at what the center of the cpu is actually running at.

They argue that is the true temp and that all other mobos report the temp to low as they only use a sensor beneath the cpu.

Who knows though.

This was a big topic about 6 months ago. Yes, they do. Somewhere in the 8-12 degree C range....

MBM is not evil, all it does is read the same temps as your bios displays. Afterall it gets it's info from the same diode's

whoa!! they all read that much higher? dammnnn i shouldnt have bought a new HSF because i techncally dont even need one

does it read case temp higher also?

Originally posted by mtbaird
in one of those threasd posted people are mainly talking about the IC7
but the very high tems apply to the IS7 series as well correct?

Correct. Pretty much all Abit boards read higher temps.

Okay, the reason I asked is because six months ago it was a big topic since the motherboard had just came out. Everyone was wondering and I decided to put it behind me and let you guys come to a conclusion and ask later.

Now that I may buy a watercooling solution, I was wondering if the original statements about the board were true, and I guess they are.

Thanks.

Back