Is it possible......

rodsfree

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
1,417
Is it possible to run multiple motherboards from one PSU?

Just wondering - trying to save a little cash on building a farm.
 
The weatherman (EMIII Developer) has an how-to article about this posted on his site at the following link. :D

 
yea i guess but it will require a serious pain in the ass of a soldering job. why not just buy a cheapo psu for it you can get a case and psu for like $20 of course it will suck big monkey balls but its for folding not gaming so it wont change much
 
soldering's not that hard mates. If i had a couple of mobo's and one psu, i'd try it.
 
rodsfree said:
Is it possible to run multiple motherboards from one PSU?

Just wondering - trying to save a little cash on building a farm.
If this is your first "farm" how many boards/CPU's are you going to use ?
I think I've got a garden with about 10 machines for my name. I once had a borged farm of about 40 CPU's I was burning in.
If you are going to only have a couple of boards to start, and plan to grow, it might be better to get a couple of good PSU's which you can then split up to run multiple boards later.

 
gnewbury said:
If this is your first "farm" how many boards/CPU's are you going to use ?
I think I've got a garden with about 10 machines for my name. I once had a borged farm of about 40 CPU's I was burning in.
If you are going to only have a couple of boards to start, and plan to grow, it might be better to get a couple of good PSU's which you can then split up to run multiple boards later.


I was thinking of using several of the "all-in-one" POS motherboards. I've got a couple of old 500watt PSU's. If I could get 1 PSU to run 2-4 motherboards then I'd save alot of money. Both on parts and on power.

A motherboard like this probably don't use 60-100watts total. If I run it diskless then thats another powerdrain I don't have to worry about.

A 350watt PSU on one of these boards wastes more power as heat than what the MB consumes. So if I can get this to work - I'll be able to fold at a lower electricty cost per WU.

I hope.
 
Cool!!!!

But I'm cheap and have a soldering iron, heatshrink, and a bunch of wiring junk :D

I guess that my question has been answered.

It should work...

with a little modding ;)
 
rodsfree said:
I was thinking of using several of the "all-in-one" POS motherboards. I've got a couple of old 500watt PSU's. If I could get 1 PSU to run 2-4 motherboards then I'd save alot of money. Both on parts and on power.

A motherboard like this probably don't use 60-100watts total. If I run it diskless then thats another powerdrain I don't have to worry about.

A 350watt PSU on one of these boards wastes more power as heat than what the MB consumes. So if I can get this to work - I'll be able to fold at a lower electricty cost per WU.

I hope.
Should of mentioned you already had a couple of powerful PSU's.
Anyways if you are running "diskless" it will take a lot less power.
I''ve an ECS ?K7VTA? with a Sempron 2400+, when first set up w/ 768Mb Ram, CD, 8Gb hard drive and 1 case fan it took about 90 watts to fold. I swapped in a 200GB and it draws 120 watts..
 
Back
Top